Cleaning Water Tank after diesel fuel mishap

Previous topic - Next topic

crieders

Dumbest mishap ever. Put 23 gallons of diesel into empty stern water tank in error before catching it. Let it run into bilge, pumped it into buckets and properly disposed of it. Cleaned up as well. What is best way to assure that the water tank is clean. The very helpful fellow at the dock said vodka!
Cliff Rieders, c34 tall rig, 1990, hull #1022

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

scgunner

Cliff,

I don't know if it qualifies as the dumbest but it would probably make the podium. The head scratcher for me is how you get diesel into the water fill when the two are on opposite sides of the boat to prevent that very thing. I'm not here to sit in judgement believe me my list of dumb things I've done is pretty impressive. I'm really more interested in the mechanics of how this could happen (cautionary tale). Also I wouldn't have disposed of 23 gallons of diesel, they're not giving that stuff away, it would have gone right into the tank (fuel tank).

As for the tank I'd pull it so you have complete access for cleaning. I know there are a lot of fancy cleaners out there but dish soap is very good when it comes to breaking down and dispersing diesel. A gallon or two of soapy water swished around rinse and repeat until there's no diesel odor or you're satisfied it's clean. Also replace all hoses and fittings.

Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Ron Hill

Cliff : I'm with Kevin, opposite sides of the boat !!, not the first time you've fueled!!!, and the caps are marked!!

My thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

pbyrne

Quote from: crieders on Yesterday at 07:12:23 AMDumbest mishap ever. Put 23 gallons of diesel into empty stern water tank in error before catching it. Let it run into bilge, pumped it into buckets and properly disposed of it. Cleaned up as well. What is best way to assure that the water tank is clean. The very helpful fellow at the dock said vodka!

If the diesel is only in tank and didn't make it anywhere else into the system, I would pump it out and then remove the tank for a thorough cleaning.

Realistically there is no way to clean the tank by flushing it connected to your water system. You'd just spread the contamination.
2000 Catalina 34 MK II #1534

Gulfsailor

Many years ago, days after getting our new sailboat (Ericson) my wife and I were headed out for a weekend getaway. As we pulled up to the fuel dock, I jumped off and began filling a gas tank for our dinghy outboard while the dockhand was filling up our diesel tank. A few minutes in and I hear my wife "You did what?"

The dockhand had pumped 10 gallons into our starboard tank. Luckily, we had a forward tank and we're able to enjoy the weekend on that water supply. The marina replaced my water tank for free (and fired the dockhand).

If possible, I would suggest you get a new water tank.
Breathing Room
1998 C34 MK II 
(Hull 1378)
New Port Richey, FL

"The difference between a sailboat and a powerboat? On a powerboat you rush to get somewhere. On a sailboat, you're already there."