sherwood raw water pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I have a couple spare impellors but no spare o rings for my raw water pump.  I tried BUS and a couple other marine/hardware stores and looked in the defender catalog with no luck.  I'll try Depco tomorrow.  Any other ideas?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken : Depco will have what you want, but as we've posted a number of times they cannot give you any break in price. 
Sherwood discount NOTHING.   :cry4`
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

Did a google for O-rings.  Found www.gaskethouse.com  the web site for Sutton Clark Supply in Richmond, VA.  1-800-848-8311  Very helpful on the phone, I found out that O-rings for "squash" type applications like the raw water pumps are made from straight stock, cut to length and then the ends are super glued together to from the "ring".    My daughter happens to work just up the road from their warehouse.  Sent her my o ring, she dropped by, spent about 10 minutes waiting and left with a new o ring and a spare.   :clap  She was planning a visit with us anyway ortherwise I'm sure I could have done it all by mail or by giving them the precise measurements on line or on the phone.  She didn't tell me how much they cost,  I'm guessing under $1, she would have asked for reimbursement otherwise.    I never did get around to checking with Depco, but I'm guessing Sutton Clark beat their price. 
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : It sounds like a good deal, but you have to be careful CALLING in. You need to always ask a few questions: 
Many of these places have a minimum charge of $25 of merchandise.  Think they do that because of the credit card??
Another item to check is the minimum shipping charge!! 
I called to order a $4.00 pack of teak plugs from West Marine last week only to find that their minimum shipping charge was $6.95 !?!  At that price, I'll wait and walk into the store for those plugs.

Stu : If you buy a Globe Co impeller (#815 for your Oberdoffer) you won't need a "Speed Seal" because the blades on mine have lasted for many years!!  I only check mine at layup in the fall.  Maybe you Left Coast Guys that sail 24/7/12 need a speed seal $$ set up to check your impeller ONCE a year (smile).   :think
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron

We have an Oberdorfer.  The only reason I asked about the O ring was that I didn't know if the Sherwood has a paper gasket like the Oberdorfer, or whether it's only a Speed Seal that would need the O ring.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ken Juul

Hi Stu,
No I don't have the speed seal.  The Sherwood has a paper gasket between the block and the base plate and the o ring between the base plate and the pump housing.  I'm still running a rubber impeller, have a globe as a back up.  When the rubber goes, it will be the blue globe from then on.  I did not get an o ring with the globe impeller, not sure if thats how they come or they just forgot to put one in the box.  That was the reason for the O ring search.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Hawk

Ken,

I'm about to change my impeller on my "new" Sherwood pump. I have the spare with what looks like a paper gasket.
Do I need to change the o ring?

And what's the "globe" you mentioned?

Thanks a lot.

Hawk
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Ron Hill

Hawk : If you are only changing the impeller you won't need a "paper" gasket as it's the one between the part of the Sherwood that mates to the engine. 
If you need a new "O" ring you can go to Depco, Westerbeke or Sherwood.  I found that the impellers are cheaper from Westerbeke than Sherwood or Depco. 
My list of manufactures telephone numbers is posted on our web site.   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

I bought them at Torresen and Marine Parts Source.   Might also try Pump Agents.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Globe is a company that makes impellers out of a slippery plastic instead of rubber.  They have a run dry guarantee of 15 minutes.  I think I got mine through Defender.

I think this is the correct impeller for the Sherwood pump from the Defender site.  Will double check when I get to the boat Saturday.
Impeller
Item #:  301959
Manufacturer:  GLOBE
Model #:  610/ 01-12-1440
Shipping Weight:  0.10 Lbs.
Our Price:  $55.99
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Ken is correct on the impeller number and the price, but don't forget the shipping $$ !! 
Defender is the only marine chancellery that I know of that stocks Globe impellers.  Globe will NOT sell direct. 
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

Ken/Ron,
OK I'm confused and should have read Ken's post more carefully.
My Sherwood impeller package had an impeller, 2 o rings and the gasket. There was no gasket - only the o ring when I removed the 3 bolts threaded in from the back and popped off the cover. Thinking the last change missed installing the gasket, I took the new one and it fits perfectly with 3 holes for the bolts. In goes the o ring and back together. And all seemed well. The pump is the version with the two ports out one side which I think Ken has. This is a picture from another thread.

http://home.comcast.net/~johnkountz/images/Sheerwood.jpg

Do I have to take that gasket out tomorrow morning before I leave for 5 days? How could it fit so nicely? I gotta lay off the Canadian beers!
Thanks for your earliest comment guys.

Hawk

Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35

Roc

If I remember correctly, the O-ring goes into the grooved slot on the cover.  Then the wear plate captures the impeller against the cover, the O-ring makes the seal between the cover and the wear plate.  On the other side of the wear plate is where the paper gasket goes.  The paper gasket is between the wear plate and the pump body.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ken Juul

Roc has it right.  O ring in the groove seals against the back plate (wear plate).  The paper gasket goes between the back plate and the pump housing.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA