Deck Fills - Diesel and H2O

Previous topic - Next topic

JMansfield

I refuse to replace those plastic deck fill caps a third time when I can replace the entire assembly with  SS fillers for very little more.  My concern is the current fillers measure approx. 3 1/4" in diameter and all  the replacements appear to be 3" diameter.  Search found a posting where Ron indicates he has written an article for Mainsheet on replacing these but I can't find it in the tech articles.  Would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has replaced the deck fills re: any problems, etc.
thanks in advance.

Jack

Ron Hill

Jack : I replaced the diesel deck fill over 10 years ago.  Not that difficult a task.
Remove the 3 screws that hold the fill in.  Then remove the engine instrument panel so you can get at the underside of the fill.
Remove the hose clamp, then the hose and the grounding wire.  I found it better to rock and push up from the underside, rather than trying to pry between the fill flange and the gel coat (didn't want to damage the gel coat).  As I recall the fill popped out without too much work.
The fill assembly that I got had DIESEL stamped on the flange lip and in the cap.  Make sure that the stamp on the flange is oriented outward so an "fuel attendant" can see it!!.  Also look at the chain from the cap that is tethered to the deck fill -- I redid that rivet with a nut/bolt just to make sure it would stay secured for many years.  Easier to do before it's installed!!
To reassemble just reverse disassembly after cleaning up the old caulk and installing some new caulk.      :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

JMansfield

Thanks for the reply Ron.  I intend to replace the diesel and both water fills.  The fills I have purchased have diesel / water stamped on the flange as you indicated.  It looks like a pretty straight forward procedure (not withstanding the usual access problems)..  I was just concerned about the difference in diameters of the fills but I don't think it will present any real problem.  I just can't see once again spending $15 to replace each plastic cap when a complete SS fill is < $25 and will solve the problem once and for all..

Jack

Roc

I took off the tether on the diesel fill cap.  It always seemed to constrict the opening.  I was afraid that when the filler nozzle what inserted, it could break the tether and my cap would plummet into the water.  Now I carefully take the cap off and put it aside where it won't fall overboard.  I've kept the tethers on the water fill caps. 
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Jack : The difference in diameter is 1/4 inch.  That's only 1/8" difference on each side!!
Don't think that anyone will notice, as I didn't on mine.  Go for it!!   :thumb:

PS: The one that's going to be a Bear is that starboard FWD water fill !?!
Ron, Apache #788

Ron Hill

Guys : To address Roc's idea of taking the chain off the cap to further open the fill for the fuel nozzle:

1. Good way to loose the fill cap.
2. If the fuel hose won't easily fit in the fuel fill fitting, you can bet you butt that you've got a HI-SPEED pump and probably don't want to use that fuel hose anyway.  My experience with the Hi-speed pumps is that a slight pull of the trigger is difficult, makes much foam and requires that you clean all of the spilled fuel from your boat. 
3. I avoid them and ask for a different pump - or go elsewhere!!   :(
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

As previously noted somewhere over the past eight years, I have deliberately removed ALL of the "tethers" from all of my deck fills.  It forces me to put the caps somewhere safe.  Plus, when the tethers do go, and they will, I don't lose a cap overboard by ever depending on the tethers at all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

JMansfield

Ron,
I am definitely going to change them out, as you say it's only 1/8".  As to the starboard fill, both my water fills are starboard which probably means they will both be a bear to change.   :cry4`

All the refueling docks in this area seem to be setup for the Bertram type boats or shrimpers, i.e big nozzles and high volume pumps.  Whenever I need fuel, I pump into 6 gal. containers and manually fill the tank.  A hassle but at least I don't spray diesel all over the place. 

thanks to everyone for the responses and onward through the fog.....    :D

Jack