Garhauer radar mast

Previous topic - Next topic

JMansfield

The search function didn't really turn up anything on the Garhauer radar mast.  Anyone have any experience / opinions on them.  I have Garhauer blocks and the outboard davit and am very pleased with the bang per buck on these. 
Also, anyone mounted the Garhauer radar mast on a Mk I.  If so, where and how?
Thanks in advance,

Jack

tstrand

Jack,

We installed the Garhauer radar poston our 1988 a year ago. We placed it on the starboard transom, using a mounting bracket down on the transom and a short, horizontal bracket to the stern rail. This was as recommended by Garhauer specifically for our boat. We used a nine-foot post to get the radar up to a height I felt was acceptable.

The only problem we found was that it had a bit more wobble than we liked. I talked to Garhauer again and they built a support strut for us that mounts at an angle from just below the radome down to the deck just forward of the aft, open scupper. This solved most of the wobbling. If you do the same I'd reccomend getting heavier gauge stainless tubing for the strut. Ours is a thinner wall, 1" diameter tubing that doesn't feel very substantial when I lean against it.

The main post is a massive chunk of metal. If you're looking to save weight you might consider one of the aluminum styles (non-Garhauer). But I like the strength of the Garhauer. We also bought the engine hoist, which has been great.

I'm attaching two pictures. The first shows a side-view before installing the strut, although you can see a length of line tied roughly where the strut ended up. The second shows the base of the strut after installation. I guess I didn't take a picture of the bracket at the base, but it's a simple, squared-U shape that bolts through the transom and supports the base of the post with a single, large horizontal bolt.

If you need any more information let me know.

Tim

Tim Strand
Calico #572
Santa Barbara, CA

JMansfield

Tim,

Thanks for the great response.  A couple of questions:

Did you go with the 2 or 2 1/2" pole ?
You mentioned using a 9' pole.  Garhauer's site shows an 8' and 10' pole.  How did you come up with 9' being the best height pole ?
Did the bottom mounting bracket also come from Garhauer ?

And last but not least, if you had it to do over again, would you again go with the same Garhauer rig?

Also, I agree 100% with you on using the heavy duty Garhauer SS pole rather than an aluminum one. 

Thanks again,
Jack

tstrand

Jack,

We used the 2" diameter pole. As for the length, the guy I talked to from Garhauer recommended 9' for the Mark I boats. I measured it out on the boat and it seemed like a good height - it gets the radome above people's heads. I wouldn't change the height. The bottom mounting bracket also came from Garhauer, as did the horizontal bracket to the stern rail, the antenna arch and the outboard hoist, all as a single package deal.

My only disappointment was in having to use a support strut, although that turned out to be pretty unobtrusive. I don't know of a better way around the wobbling issue, other than to reduce the pole height. I suppose the 2.5" pole would be a bit stiffer but part of the wobble comes from the stern rail flexing. I've looked at a number of other pole installations and it seems like everyone either has a support strut(s) or a wobbly pole.

Would I do it the same way again? Yes, assuming I needed the engine hoist. If not for that I'd probably mount the radome up by the spreaders.

Good luck,
Tim
Tim Strand
Calico #572
Santa Barbara, CA