Leakimg water tank

Previous topic - Next topic

himarks

Hello to all,
My forward water tank on my MK11 has a leak from the cap on top on the tank when topped off. I tightened it down but still leaks. any help on this problem?
himarks

BillG

Try wrapping the  threads 4- 6  times with teflon tape. That  was enough to solve my problem.
Bill
Rock Hall, MD

Ron Hill

You can also use non harding "pipe sealant" from a hardware store to stop your leak.   Just make sure that when you apply it to the clean out cap that both the threads on the cap and tank are dry.    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jim Rose

When filling the forward water tank, stop before it comes out the overflow vent.  You can hear it before the level hits the vent.  This will keep the water level below the inspection cap.  And your leak is gone.

Ron Hill

Guys : Jim has a good point on not overfilling. 
However, if the height of the fwd tank in the MKII is like the height of the starboard tank in the MKI, then the aft water tank is higher and will siphon into the other lower tank if both valves are left open.
If that's the case, then some sealant on the clean out cap threads is the way to keep the tank from leaking.  A thought.   :think
Ron, Apache #788

himarks

Thanks to all,
I have been letting the water stay on, gravity filling the rear tank. So I'll try sealing the cap with tape or putty to see if that works.
Thanks for the feedback.
himarks