CG Documentation Numbers

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Kern

Where/how do people have their documentation numbers on the boat?  I have seen some with an expensive teak engraved board mounted somewhere down below. 

I was thinking of getting some stick on letters/numbers and putting them in the port side lazerrette by covering them with a thin coat of fiberglass resin.  Any other ideas/suggestions?
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Ted Pounds

On "Molly Rose" I engraved, with a router, a nice piece of oak and epoxied it in the aft cabin.  It's on the fiberglass athwartships bulkheald in the forward, port corner of the cabin.  I like that spot because it's out of the way, but still in plain sight.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jeff Kaplan

joe,, i had the #'s routed into oak board which i then coated with poly and epoxied onto port side hull right under nav desk, fit perfect. hidden from plain sight but can be seen if you know where to look. i also put #'s on a plastic board, cover with epoxy and placed in aft  cabin in locker at starboard rear.i was informed by the cg  what ever you plan to do, the #'s should be adhered to surface in such a way that if they are removed,by other than the owner,  damage should be visable for cg to inspect.
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Ron Hill

Joe : The USCG requirement is "that the documentation number be carved into the keel or firmly affixed to the hull".
Like others I routed the number in to a piece of mahogany (teak too $$!) and epoxy-ed it to the hull in the aft cabin.  The flattest part of the hull I found was on the starboard side just under the small cutout.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff_McKinney

I don't have the woodworking skills you folks have, so went low tech & borrowed the following approach from a friend in my marina. It does require a few contortions, but was not that hard. It sounds like what you want to do.

1. Bought 3" high black stick-on numbers & letters to match the number on the form plus "Doc. No." and some clear epoxy sealant (like you'd use to seal a table top)
2. Lightly sanded the surface of an area of the hull in the port side lazarette (400 grit is enough), wiped off the dust.
3. Drew a pencil line & set the letters & numbers in the correct order
4. Mixed & applied a couple of light coats. (let it set up a bit before you apply it so it doesn't drip much)

It's not going anywhere and meets the requirements.  :thumb:
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Ken Juul

Previous owner used Jeff's method.  He put them in the small storage area stbd side just forward of the aft bunk.  Easy to get to and because of it's size, less stuff to move than any of the cockpit lockers.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Norris Johnson

I put on the stick-on numbers coated with a couple coats of resin. That was 8 yrs ago.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas