SF Bay sail

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

Perhaps this post more properly belongs in the story section of the forum but in that there are no posts there I thought the message board would be appropriate.
A couple days ago my wife and I sailed for a few hours on the bay with Stu Jackson on "Aquavite". As conditions were less than optimal (25 knot winds plus, big rollers, rain,fog and a nasty chop at times) a well founded boat(and a skilled captain) seemed to really pay off. The c34 performed well. Stu had her tamed  with a reefed jib which allowed for complete control even when surfing down waves at 9.5 knots. I've never quite achieved that on our boat on Lake Michigan.
My wife suffered some mild "mal de mar" so ultimately Stu fired up the "iron Genoa" and we made it back to shore in short order.
While, I generally don't choose to sail in these conditions back home, we have been caught in some nasty stuff while cruising.It was reassuring knowing (from the forum) that "Aquavite" has received so much TLC over the years. It was a thrilling afternnoon.

Happy 2006 to all,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Stu Jackson

A representative photo.  Thanks for your note and a great day together.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."