propane tank pressure

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

What would a normal propanel pressure drop (if any), per the tank gauge pressure reading after one week of non use. Typically after use, I will shut the tank valve. One week later I might be at 40#s. When reopened the system pressurizes at aprox. 80 #s. I have never smelled propane. I know this stuff is insidious and heavier than air. I have sniffed around like an ant eater with negative results. Just wondered what others have experienced.

thanks much,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : You need to read the book on your stove.  I believe that the pressure is allowed to drop 5 psi in 15 minutes.

I'm sure that you have a "Hiller" range from Seaward.  Contact them for a new manual.  Also the pressure shown on the gage is dependent on two factors:
1. How full the tank is with liquid propane
2. The outside temp. Hotter the higher the pressure and Colder the lower the pressure.

From what you've said, I'll guess that you have a GREAT connection if you still have 40psi after a week!!!!!!!!!!    :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Ken,
My pressure with the valve open normally runs close to 90#. I also shut it off at the end of each use...belt and suspenders approach.  When I turn it on again in the morning for breakfast it will be down between 5 and 10 #.  the only time I have smelled propane inside the boat is when I light the oven.  That makes me a little nervous, but I sure like those hot rolls to warm me up on a brisk morning!
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Jeff_McKinney

Stupid but also important questions: Using the "belt & suspenders" approach, are you shutting off the tank valve, lighting the stove burner to burn off any residual fuel and then turning off the solenoid when done cooking? If you don't there is always the potential of any remaining gas in the line oozing through the stove valves into the cabin. Granted, it would be a small amount, but...

Downside is you would have to go open the tank in the AM.
Jeff McKinney,  Event Horizon;  Upper Chesapeake Bay

Jim Price

In between uses, my tank drops to about 40# also.  I don't use too frequently and it seems to hold constant.  When I shut down, I close tank while burner still on.  Once burn off complete, I trip soliniod.  It does require a little extra pruging when I use again due to all the air in the line being pushed out first.  I feel better this way due to infrequent uses.

I did recently replace with "new " tank but even the old one held some level of pressure when closed off even as it was getting close to empty.  It would only pop up to about 40# when in use and I guess that was due to much lower volume in tank.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ron, Jack, Jeff & Jim

Unfortunately the PO didn't leave me with the tank/stove manual so I have been relying on generic sources of info. I guess I could get one at the mfgr. web site. When winterizing the boat I did purge all propane from the system by allowing burn-off after closing the valve. It's interesting that some of you do that routinely. Definitely a good thought for next "propane season"
Thanks again for the peace of mind.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Jack Hutteball

I turn off the solenoid with the burner on then turn off the valve at the tank after the gas burns out.  If I am going to be off the boat for an extended period of time I shut off the valve at the tank and let it burn off.  We use our boat a minimum of every two weeks even during the winter so I do not do that too often.
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

David Sanner

Sounds like some of you might have a small leak.   My setup had similar symptoms until
tracked down a tiny leak in my regulator and replaced it.  Now if I close the valve on the
tank (with the solenoid off) the pressure will stay for at least a week... if not more.

I assume everyone knows the soapy water trick for tracking down leaks.  Assuming your
solenoid is not leaking (and the line beyond it) there aren't too many places the propane
can leak from. 

The good news is, since the propane storage is vented,  if you turn off your propane
each time a small leak isn't likely that much of a risk...  but I didn't like the idea of it.

Also, more importantly, pressing the propane switch and boiling water is about all
I can handle before my morning coffee  ;)

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Jim Price

I am sorry but I may have lied a little.    :liar   

On last trip to boat, I thought to check the propane  first since I was planning to use over the weekend and found the tank valve open, the solenoid obviously closed from last use, but more importantly, the pressure at tank was 120#.  Mind you this is a new "upgraded" tank that was just filled earlier this summer.

Guess all I am saying is that it appears the system can hold a substantial pressure at the solenoid point if there are no leaks.  I did close the tank valve this time after purging the lines as a "just in case".    :nail
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA