cruising shute or spinnaker

Previous topic - Next topic

GRAEME JACKSON

hi all,we do very little club racing mainly cruising (am based in australia
very few early model 34's here to copy
have a 160 genoe and are getting killed by the opersition when racing
what is better a cruining shute or a normal spinnaker or just pole out the genoea
not shure what i need in the way of extra sheets and blocks

SteveLyle

As they say in stock car racing, "Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?"

In this case, speed also takes more work, crew, and skill.

Fastest option, also more expensive and more work and requiring more skill, is a full spinnaker.  The big advantage over a cruising chute is that you can use it at lower angles to the wind, since you have a pole to haul it to the opposite side of the boat from the boom.

A cruising chute is a compromise - basically a big, light genoa.  I've never heard of winging one of these big guys out, so you're limited as to how low you can sail, but you make up for it by going faster.

Winging out the genoa is easiest.  The benefit is sailing at those lower angles (up to dead downwind) than you can with a crusing chute.  Other benefits - no sail handling, lowest cost (you've already got the sail, just add a pole), 2 people can handle it easily, etc..

If you've got the crew and the bucks, go with the spinnaker.  Find a local rigger who can set you up.  Write it up and take pictures and submit it as a project while you're at it.

If you're short on both, stick with winging the genoa out.

If you've got more money than crew (or skill), and want to have another thing to play with on the boat, go with the crusing chute.  If you've got a local sail loft they can consult on rigging one up.

GRAEME JACKSON

THANKS FOR THAT INFO
IF I HAVE THE 160 % OUT WHAT SIZE POLE SHOULD I USE ???
WOULD IT REQUIRE A UP HAUL AND DOWN HAUL  ??
WOULD THE SHEET HAVE TO BE SET FROM THE AFT OF BOAT ??
I AM A LITTLE INEXPERENCED WITH THIS AS ONLY DOWN CRUISING
WHAT ANGLE OF WIND WOULD LIMIT THE CRUISING SHUTE ??

Steve Hansen

Hello Graeme

Here is a site I came across which gives alot of good information and explains sail performance, spinnakers etc. Hope this is helpful.

http://www.ukhalsey.com/LearningCenter/encyclopedia/encyclopedia.asp

Steve
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

GRAEME JACKSON

Hi all just had a play with spinnaker pole on the week end
was only poling out 150 genoea
the side guy wires on the mast seem to get in the way
should i always set pole forward of front stay
seemed to hold out sale better when set in between the stays