Transmission chatter

Previous topic - Next topic

Roc

Hello All,
During the last few outings, I seemed to notice that the transmission 'chatters' in the 1200-1500 rpm range.  I know that in gear, at idle, there will be damper plate chattering, and that's normal.  But it always seemed to disappear as soon as throttle was given.  I still notice that it does disappear as usual upon increase of throttle from idle, but now I hear a faint chattering in the 1200-1500 rpm range, then it goes away after that.  The engine has 587 hours.

Any thoughts?  Does the damper plate need to be adjusted, and if so, how big of a job is that??

Thanks!!!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Roc : I've heard Joe Joyce (Service Manager) of Westerbeake mention that problem.
As I recall he talked about changing the springs in that damper, but call him and get his recommendation first hand.  Then come back to the Message Board and give us his solution.   :think 
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Ambrose

Roc,

You may want to start by checking your motor mounts for tightness.  Check the mounts adjusting nuts, and where the mounts meet the fiberglass stringers. Over time they can loosen and that allows for vibration to be evident at specific engine rpms.

Randy Stolze

Roc,

I have a dripless pss seal which begins to chatter from time to time at about the rpm you describe. The solution is simply to burp the bellows. The first time I heard the chatter I had visions of pulling the trans.

Randy
Randy