RUDDER Re lay-up old vs. new rudder

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

Guys : Let me recap the many posts and conversations that I've read and had on this topic over MANY years.

If you have a unbent stainless rudder column you have the option of sending it back to the Catalina factory in Calif. and they will take your old column, relay it up in new/better filler/foam over a new welded on a stainless grid.  The layup will be the new elliptical design for either the wing or fin keel.  You old column will have the hole drilled for the steering quadrant and will be ready to accept the emergency tiller cap.  (standard and walk thru transoms have different requirements for the emergency tiller cap fixture)  The cost is about 1/2 the cost of an completely new rudder.

A new elliptical rudder will match your requirement for either a wing or fin keel.  However, there will be no hole drill for the steering quadrant and you'lll have to insure that the emergency tiller cap attaches.  I've been told that you may even have to shorten the stainless column, as it may be too long.  To drill any hole/s in that column I'd recommend a drill press to get the hole/s straight and square.  I've been told it is nearly impossible to drill holes in the column - ON the boat. 

Take your old rudder and add the extra surface and make your own elliptical rudder as I did.  See the Mainsheet Nov 2004 Tech Notes.

To summarize:
The old rudder layup is twice the shipping cost, but should slide into your boat for attachment with out modification.
The new rudder will take some modifying and work to make it fit, but is a one way shipping cost. 
Both will be of elliptical design and of excellent quality.

You make the choice.    :think

Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Ron,

I have also been reading up on this as I have water coming out of drilled holes in my rudder.  Do you have any idea as to how many boating units the repair will set me back?

Dave

Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stephen Butler

Thanks Ron, for the information.  It is a great help.  I will contact Catalina now, to see if they put a stainless grid in our 1990, # 1023 boat.  Thanks again.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : Let us know what Catalina tells you.  I believe that the stainless grid didn't come to the production line till 1991 or 1992.   :?:

Dave : It looks like Steve has some exact numbers, which kind of match the $700 rebuild and $1300 new (not including shipping) that I've been using (from Catalina Parts).   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stephen Butler

Here is the situation now.  I contacted Catalina Parts, which were very helpful, and was quoted a price of $1283 for an entirely new rudder.  I also tried to contact the Catalina tech area, to determine if my original rudder had the stainless grid,their thoughts on replacement vs new, etc.,  but was unsuccessful despite 4 attempts and a mounting long-distance phone bill (We are in Costa Rica).  I then contacted Lowell at Catalina Direct, who apparantly was able to contact Catalina.   According to Catalina Direct, my rudder did not have the stainless grid (we have a 1990 model, which was actually build at the end of 1989, and have the narrow swim platform and closed transome).  Additionally, it was recommended that if the rudder was so severely damaged by impact, the grid and/or shaft was most likely bent.  Catalina Direct has now quoted a new rudder, from the Catalina factory, for the same cost as a direct factory purchase.  We are still digesting all of this and will make a purchasing decision soon.  Any thoughts on this?
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Ron Hill

Steve : You're going to have to be the judge on whether your column is straight or not usable.  If your grid was pretty well rusted thru, it wouldn't take much of a blow to sheer off what was left of the grid and make the rudder INOP. 
I don't know what kind of a yard and knowledge they have where the boat is, but it isn't too difficult to "open up" one side of the rudder and inspect the grid!!  You could even weld on your own stainless grid and then relay up that side with glass/mat.  You could also add the 5 inches extra to the trailing edge and make your own elliptical rudder.

If you were to order a new rudder from Catalina, you would still have the old one on hand to use a template (for the holes and length).  A few thoughts. 
Ron, Apache #788

Kyle Ewing

I'm currently addressing rudder problems on my boat (1990 #1010) and am working with my yard on repair vs. replace estimates.  I was able to talk to someone at Catalina technical support and was told that from Chicago, shipping would eat up most of the cost savings of having the current rudder rebuilt.  Also, because of the way the rudder is rebuilt, there is no guarantee that the holes will line up so you may still have to redrill the holes.  They also told me that I would probably have to trim the top of the rudder post. 

They did suggest ordering the rudder from my local Catalina dealer.  The rudder could then be shipped as part of a new boat delivery saving some shipping costs. 

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago

Kyle Ewing
Donnybrook #1010
Belmont Harbor, Chicago
http://www.saildonnybrook.com/

brant

HI Steve and Nancy,
   I notice that you're in Costa Rica.  I'm headed there in 8 days to join my boat which is on the hard at the Costa Rica Yacht Club in Puntarenas.  Will you be in the area and would you like to share info with us?  If so, please e-mail me at brant@suwa.org.  Thanks,
Brant

Stephen Butler

Under normal conditions, I would have the boat yard where Wildflecken is stored, open the old rudder, or what is left of it, and get some additional info before ordering a new one from the factory.  Ron, your thoughts on welding, etc., are also my own, and we are never adverse to saving a bit of money, if only to put it back into the boat somewhere else.  However, the boat yard is currently "swamped" (bad pun) with raising boats that have sunk at their docks, clearing the rubble that used to be boats, etc.  They have offered to try and find an independent contractor to work with me from here, but I am not at all comfortable with this.  So, we will most likely order a new rudder, and put it in ourselves in mid-December, when we can get to the boat.  We are actually looking forward to doing the work and having the resulting upgrade. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023