Refrigeration

Previous topic - Next topic

SPLETS

I purchased a 1987 with no refrigeration.  I want to install a unit.

How many cubic feet is the ice box?

I do not want to put in another thru hull.  Any reccommendations?

Thanks

Stu Jackson

Splets

A majority of the boats have Adler Barbour Cold Machines.  Various locations for the compressor unit: under the forward settee seat or in the lazarette.  They're air cooled units, no through hull needed.  I think the box is 6 cubic feet (it's about 2 x 2 x 2 = eight) so maybe it's 9 cu. ft.

I recommend you do a search on "adler" - there are many posts right up your alley, including sizing, insulation, etc.

Also important to consider is the size of your house battery bank.  If you're marina hopping it's not that important, but if you plan to stay out for any extended period, you'll need a good house bank of considerable capacity.  The unit draws 60 ah per day (5 amps when running, half duty cycle or 5 x 24 hours x 50%).
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

On my 1992, the adler barbour unit had failed and I replaced it with a unit from Sea Frost.

The Sea Frost uses a plate for the cooling surface and takes up little space in the ice box.  But the big advantage was packaging of the compressor unit.  On my boat, the compressor was installed in the lazarette, Since that compartment is often used for fender storage, the AB unit would get subjected to a bit of salt water and eventually it failed due to corrosion.

I didnt want to have the new unit fail similarly but also didn't want to give up space in the forward settee for it.

The Sea Frost compressor unit is packaged in a fiberglass enclosure which protects it from the environment.  So it was ideal for mounting in the lazarette.

Whichever unit you select. be careful of the length of refrigerant tubing needed to go from the compressor to the ice box. In my case, I needed it longer than standard and they sold me the plate with longer length tubing to reach the lazarette. The cost add was only $25 or so.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1138
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Steve Hansen

Our refrigeration was installed by the PO and is a Frost Mate. The condenser is stored under the main access opening next to and/or behind the stuffing box, and is out of the way. (if memory serves me correctly). The water is drawn in through a tee on the head sink drain with the water pump installed 6 inches from that point. This can be accessed through the access door in the head. The water exit is through a thruhull which is located next to the cockpit drain and is above the waterline. I am not thrilled with the "T" arrangement as there are too many clamps and connections. I like simplicity and I think this arrangement needs closer inspection. Overall it works well but I think I would opt for another arrangement. If I could simplify the T arrangement or have a separate thruhull I would be much happier. You would still need one thru hull added for the water exit though.
Steve Hansen
Georgia Peach 1987 #349
Tall Rig/ Wing Keel
Universal M25XP

Joe Nalley

Allegro is a 1987 C-34 (#415) and we are running the original (1987)Adler-Barber unit.  House battery bank consists of 2ea 27 series 12v batteries. Unit has been recharged only once (4 years ago) and maintains frozen foods well.  We back off the thermostat when anchored or on a mooring, typically run the engine twice per day for about 45 minutes. Good luck on your installation.

Joe Nalley
Allegro #415