hot water heater

Previous topic - Next topic

entdat

My water doesn't get very hot.The engine is a universal 25.It runs at about 165 degrees.
Any suggestions??

Jim Price

It won't unless you run the engine for several hours to transfer all the heat avaialbe from the engine and heat all the water in the tank.  Even though the engine is running 165, that does not mean the coolant will transfer 165 degrees into the water.  Takes a lot of heat to get the water in the heater up to something that feels "hot" (shore power).  Mine feels comfortabley warm after motoring about an hour.  It would be fine for bathing in warm weather.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Bill : Alot depends on the temperature of the raw cooling water.
In our area right now the outside water is about 79F, so if you run the engine at operating temp for a good 30 minutes you'll have "showerable water".  Run for a hour or 2 and it will be VERY HOT.    :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Footloose

Speaking of water heaters, mine sprung a leak two weeks ago.  I have read about removing the sink to replace it, however I have measured things and it looks as though it will come out the access door on the side if the trim is removed.  Has anyone tried this?
Dave G.
"Footloose"
Hull# 608  1988 Tall Rig/Fin Keel
Malletts Bay, VT- Lake Champlain

Jim Price

That is the way to do it.  If it is the "square" Seward tank, it will fit through the opening with the trim removed, just barely.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

entdat

I have had two other boats and the water got very hot  much more quickly.
Is it possible the flow to the heater is deceased when the thermostat opens?

Ron Hill

Bill : The nature of a thermostat is that it stays closed and heats the water/coolant up faster and then opens at 160 degrees temp.    :?:  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Wow, my 1990 water heater/boat heats up to boiling hot in about 10 minutes (74 degree water).  Engine runs at about 165.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Ray & Sandy Erps

Bill,

Did it used to get hot or has it always been this way?  My '89 gets hot after an hour of motoring with the raw water temperature around 50 degrees this time of year.  I don't think the thermostat would be the cause, unless it was stuck open and the motor didn't heat up at all, but I think you said your motor got up to operating temperature.  If the boat was new to me and it didn't get hot, I'd follow the engine coolant lines that lead to the hot water heater to make sure that there isn't a shut off valve installed somewhere by the previous owner.  I'd check the coolant in the lines to make sure they're full of fluid and don't need to be burped.  I'd run the motor and feel the lines leading to the hot water tank to see if the lines are getting warm.   In other words, I'd start trying to confirm that hot water is leaving the motor and circulating through the hot water heater.  Are the coolant lines lying against the cold hull?  I could see how that might interfere with heating the water heater in extremely cold water.  Anyway, those are a few thoughts off the top of my head.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA