Dodger and Solar Fans

Previous topic - Next topic

RV61

In process of considering adding a dodger to Interlude and concerned
about the day night solar fans working due to shade when a dodger is installed as they are mounted over the head and standing area of the aft cabin. I read some previous posts however I would like hear from anyone who would have a similar setup and understand their dodger design. On the dodger I want to be sure the frame is stiff as I would want grab bars.
What size tubing should be used? Still debating to set it up to see over or see through the dodger when considering height as I am 5'8" and the admiral is 5'2". I am leaning toward lots of window area and taller dodger
as I find when on other boats I bump the head coming out and going in the companionway.  Any thoughts appreciated. Also looking for a good canvass company in Ohio.
Thanks
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

dmorrison

A dodger is one of the very worthwhile upgrades, I think.  The one that came with my boat is about the height of my eyes, which makes it surprisingly easy to see both over and through it, and doesn't take too much bending to go below.  It has removable side panels that are mostly clear plastic.  My solar vent spins just fine whenever the sun shines.  I only have one solar vent.  On the port side, instead of the vent, I have a hatch about 8 or 9" square, that lets both air and light into the head.  Since the hatch is protected from weather by the dodger, I normally leave it wide open all the time.  The hatch is mounted sideways so it doesn't interfere with visibility when it's open.  I also have a simple rain fly that zips to the top of the dodger and has a 6' length of stainless tubing that straps to the back stay and the sides of the stern rail.  I've considered replacing the fly with a proper bimini someday, but that's at least a couple of seasons away from the top of my list.  For now, I have a wireless remote for the ST4000 autopilot, so I can steer from under the dodger when the weather is bad.   :thumb:

Ron Hill

Rick : I've had a dodger from day 1.  Got a lot smarter when I had the second one made.
I have 1" stainless tubing with a welded hand rail onto the aft bow and side hand rails which add rigidity.  I'm 5'8" and my 1st Mate is 5'2".  I had the top of the dodger made so I can see over the top and she can see underneath.  I also had the front window made to completely zip out and we only put it in during WX or rain.  The top of the two bows are even as I look over the top.  NOT- one higher than the other, to make a blind spot.

I also installed a Day/Nite solar vent in the Vberth overhead between the mast and the forward hatch.  I've never had mildew.  

If you make the dodger too much higher, it might be too high to comfortably hold on to the aft hand rail.  Also you won't have to (maybe) re-cut your main sail as it may be baggy.  You'll learn to duck!!

If I have another dodger canvas made there's NOTHING I'd change on mine!!  Some thoughts.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

There is nothing better than looking OVER a dodger.  If the dodger is high, you will ALWAYS be looking through it - and I believe that it will take a lot away from "being outdoors."  Also, when motoring on the autopilot, it's VERY nice to just stand up and lean on the aft end of the dodger, with arms crisscrossed and look ahead.  Can't do that with a high dodger.

Our dodger came with Aquavite when we purchased her in 1998.  I thought it was too low, but found it much nicer being able to see above it when standing and sitting on our perch seat at the pulpit, and through it when sitting at the helm or cockpit seats.  Besides, it improves the lines of the boat without having a huge dodger hump in the middle of the boat.

We learned to duck, coming and going.  Ducking helps you to concentrate on going down the companionway steps.  When we replaced our dodger last year, we used the same frame.  The side windows (curtains) of the dodger, when the covers are off, allow the solar vents to work.  We have solar vents on both sides, since the older boats didn't have the hatch over the head.

An aft handrail (either full like Ron's or partial like ours) AND side grab rails are ESSENTIAL safety items.  Do NOT buy a dodger without BOTH of them.

We have a flat top, as suggested, which increases the view (or rather doesn't diminish it).  Much better than a slope.  Our front curtain does zip out, but here in SF we've never needed to do that!

Our dodger is white so we bought a full dodger cover in blue with it for the new one instead of just the snap on curtain covers.  For day sails, we just flip up the front of the full cover and go sailing.  For longer trips we take the whole cover off.  The time to take the cover on and off is no longer than it used to take to remove the curtain covers only on the old dodger.

We're both 5'-10" and shrinking!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Gary Ambrose

Dodgers are really terrific. They allow for keeping hatch boards out in a rainstorm under all most all conditions, thus the cabin feels open and airy during wet weather.

The C34 looks quite stretched out aft of the cabin and a dodger provides a visual link between the cabin and cockpit that, too me, gives the hull a better appearance linking the two by the overlap of both by the dodger.  At the same time this emphasizes the really nice curving sheer line of a C34.

Practically speaking ours is 62 and 1/2" from the cockpit sole to top edge of the dodger. I am 5'8 1/2" and my wife is 5'2". There is no problem passing under it. I steer either standing looking over the dodger or through it while seated. I too like a removable or roll up center window panel to give that summer feel to the sailing day. A dodger that is mostly all windows is the best way to go. We have 1' aluminum tubing. Our sail maker sewed two zippers inside along both support tubes so that we can take the dodger off very quickly and stow it below...simply fold down the tubes over the hatch and in front of the traveler.

Additionally, there is a zip on bimini and another set of tubes that stow below for sitting out of the sun on those hot summer days.

Paul Bosquet

I am 5'7. The height of the dodger is 60" which give me great visibility either sitting or standing while still easy to go down below.
The sides are removable clear panel so they give me good visibility and do not obstruct the operation of the solar vent.
I strongly recommend the side hand grip that are bolted on the tubing. would not live without them and they do make the whole frame more solid. no straps. I also had a grab bar installed on the aft edge of the dodger.
One inch tubing was used for the frame.
By the way , the enclosure was the best investment for our kind of weather. Hardly spend any time below, rain or shine.
Paul

ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Paul Blumenfeld

Rich,

I have a dodger and the Solar/Battery Fans.  They work fine when the covers are off the dodger but usually not enough light for them to work when covers are on.  The battery keeps the fan running only overnight.

Paul
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

dmorrison

I have to agree with Gary that a dodger does no harm to the visual lines of a C34.  Here in New England most boats have dodgers, and to me it looks funny to see a boat this size without one.  We have a short sailing season up here, but the dodger allows us to sail earlier in the spring and later in the fall.  In my humble opinion, no matter what size dodger you choose, your C34 will still be the best looking boat in the harbor.   :thumb:

RV61

THANKS to All for the feedback !!! Off to the boat to measure and ponder and a cold one. Found a couple of names of canvas people near the boat from a broker but if anyone out there has first hand experience in Ohio would like to hear from you.
We will keep you posted. :D  
May the wind be with you!
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie