Fuel Pump ????

Previous topic - Next topic

RON SCHERER

Steve---I'm still waiting to hear bk. from Stu. I think this would be good training for him. Just kidding guys. I talked to my mech. about an hr. ago and he confirmed the plumbing is correct which makes me feel good. Scratch one thing off the list. I have to agree with you the new tank is the way to go along with the new pump. Where is the best place to buy the tank??? My boat is a 1987 sail #367. We bought this boat 2 yrs. ago from the original owner. They did not use the boat a lot as evidenced by a # of things. Hence it was not maintained the way I maintain it. If $ was no object yes I would have bought a much newer boat like most people. We were a candidate for a Cat. 30 until we saw the 34 so we stretched out and found this 34 at a good price. We have been adding all the bells and whistles as $ permits. Please confirm where I would buy a new tank. Thank you. Ron

SteveLyle

Ron,

The key feature of your boat, that most sailboat owners can't say about their boats:  THE MANUFACTURER IS STILL IN BUSINESS!!!

Which means, you can get almost any part for the boat from them.  Even if they have to make it from scratch for you.

So call them, they'll sell you a tank.  As for the Parts Department.  Keep calling until you can talk to someone.  Eventually you'll get through.

Steve

Craig Illman

I emailed Chris Diaz [Chris@catalinayachts.com] at Catalina to order mine. It's currently on backorder. (1/4 vent, 3/8 draw).

Craig Illman

Stu Jackson

Hi, Ron, is the airplane ticket in the mail yet?   :D

Try this: http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=663&highlight=weblog

Steve's a bit modest.

This is a glass half empty, glass half full discussion, and perhaps I could just have well said: "Hire a mechanic," in my last post.  You see, I have absolutely no idea how technically qualified you are in doing things, and I have read the same material on fuel tanks as you have.  So, there's no way I could guess how long it'd take you to do something.  I know how long I think it would take me, and then, because it's a boat, I double it! :D

I understand you have your precious weekends to motor and sail.  But I still am confused as to how you can fit two things in one hole:  doing your sailing and also fixing the tank.  Somethings gotta give unless you hire it ALL out, in which case your question changes to: "Know any qualified mechanics in SD?"  I don't, some others might.

The earlier posts explained what had to be done, and only you can determine how long it would take you do them.  And I don't think "tinkering" is the right phrase, since I truly believe that knowing stuff is a safety issue.  In this case, Ron, I understand you're working on a straight task and don't need the safety speech.

I just reread Ron Hill's tank cleaning in the Project section of the main  C34 website.  That's one option.

I think Steve's idea of a replacement is certainly another way for you to consider.

I've said it before, so at the risk of repeating it: Your boat, your choice.

I intend this to be friendly, and non-argumentative, and I certainly hope you take it in that spirit.  

Have you joined the C34IA?  That will give you access to MANY technical notes since 1987, almost all of them on a FREE CD-ROM (1987 to 2001), which pretty much covers your vintage of boat.  I NEEDED all that information to keep Aquavite afloat, and so did Steve.  Right up your alley - you can read it on the plane.   :roll:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RON SCHERER

:thumb: Thanks to all of you who responded on this subject. I am officially blowing out the flame for now. I am preparing for a archery elk hunt here in Az. which is getting my full attention right now. On my return I will probably order all new parts for the boat. I think this is the best way to go. Ill let you all know how it turns out. Stu, stand by Ill let you know when to head to the airport. Thanks to you all---Ron