Slip Size

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Johnson

One of the marina's here at Lake Travis in Texas asked what was the narrowest slip in which my C34 would fit.  I'd say the 14' but can it fit in a 12'?  They have a 35'x12' available but there is a waiting list for the 35'x14'.  I'm hoping to get into this marina rather than keeping her in CA.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

Jeff McKinney

Rick,

I asked my marina owner the same thing. He said that in his experience while a 12' slip is physically wide enough, it's not a good move. Critical points: that the space between the inside of the pilings is truly 12' (not 12' on the centers) AND you are good enough to slide an 11'6" wide boat into & out of it cleanly every time.  :nail

It's your call, but I'd say the 14' wide slip is the wiser choice.

Ron Hill

Rick : Jeff is correct.  If it's only temporary while you wait for a 14 ft wide, here's what I'd do.  Get in a boat and you measure the inside distance of the aft pilings.  Then you can make the decision if you'd be comfortable.
Driving pilings is NOT an exacting science. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jeff McKinney

Ron,

I understand your point of view, but didn't understand Rick was looking at temporary arrangement. I guess it still boils down to the opening being large enough for the boat.