air filter help

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Ambrose

I am pretty new to the C34 so forgive this easy question. I have just examined the air filter on our 86 with an M-25. Removed the foam cover, washed it in diesel, re oiled with fresh oil. My question is: is that it. I have no paper element inside the screen just the green foam filter. The metal interior screen seems like a pretty good place for another layer of filtering.

Also if such a part exists does anyone have a Universal part number for it? A search of marinedieseldirect.com seems to show just the metal housing/screen with foam covering as filter.

Many thanks for your help and this great forum!

Tom Soko

Gary,
If you want a new foam filter for less than "marine" prices, head down to your local NAPA store and get their filter #7-02278.  It requires a little trimming with a pair of scissors, but it costs FAR less.  I'm also curious why you re-oiled the filter?  My foam filter is clean.  No oil bath.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Gary Ambrose

Tom,

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I could have skipped the oil...good to know. So, it sounds like the foam is the only filter...no other layer  inside the foam??

Thanks again for the help Tom!

Ron Hill

Gary : Most of the 1986/87s had an air cleaner with a long "snoot" on it.  On the later C34s it was a round can type with a piece of foam (noise suppressor) on the outside and a pack of aluminum heave shavings on the inside.  
I clean my "shavings" with lacquer thinner once a year and replace them in the can.  I never oil them as the engine compartment is a "oily" air  environment and it's NOT dusty. I make my own foam pieces for the outside.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Gary Ambrose

Ron,

Thanks for the info. I have an 86 with the snoot style canister. On the interior of the canister underneath the foam is a slotted cylinder air space. It is empty...nothing in it. The foam serves as the only air filter. I guess that may be the way it is supposed to be?

You're right about an oily but clean environment, so additional oil seems unnecessary on the foam.

Thanks for your post and all your solid information to the forum.