Universal Engine Glow Plugs

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Bain

This may be one of my stupidest posts, but I have to press the glow plug button in on my engine for 30 seconds each time I start it.....
Is there a fix for this?....or a conversion??
I did not have to do this with my Yanmar.

Thanks!
Richard
Richard Bain
"PAZZO"
London, ON, Canada

David Sanner

Seems that everyone has to do this, even in warm weather,
unless the engine has been run recently and is still warm.

The manual recommends up to 60 secs of glow plug time.

Many of us have installed a solenoid to reduce the
glow plug time down to 10-20 secs.

Here's some reading on installing a solenoid from Al, Ron & Stu.
http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-glowplugs.html
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Richard : By all means install the solenoid in the glow plug circuit.  It not only speeds up engine starting, but also saves many amps that could have been available for use by the starter.
Look in the upcoming August 05 Mainsheet.  I have a safety tip on the modified wiring.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

Richard,
I took a diesel seminar several years back, given by a Yanmar dealer.  I seem to remember them saying that the Yanmar has no glow plugs.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Richard : Roc is correct - Yanmar engines normally do not have glow plugs.  The difference is in the top of the cylinder head design - as to whether you need a glow plug.  
However, most of the diesels need a glow plug to start is cold temperatures.  If you look at the Yanmar engine instrument panel for thier larger engines - there's a GLOW PLUG position on the key switch (they just are not installed).  
Also did you note the large puff of blue smoke as a Yanmar first starts?  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788