Port List

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Spray

I have a 1988 C34 #795.  This is my first season with the boat.  I bought the boat when it was on the hard. I was very disappointed this spring when I launched and found that the boat had a list to port. I have emptied all the tanks and have less than a half of a tank of fuel.  There is nothing on board for equipment that would create this type of list.  Has anyone had this problem and if so how did you correct it :cry4`

Ted Pounds

Welcome aboard.  I think you'll enjoy your 34.  If you do a search on this site you'll find that all C34's have a slight list to port.  Not much you can do about it. You want to keep the fuel tank fairly full to keep condensation out.  You can make sure the holding tank is empty and the starboard water tank is full.  If you add anything, like a starting battery,  put it on the starboard side.  Beyond that you just have to live with it.  It's really a minor issue on a great boat and doesn't have much impact when sailing.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike Smith

Flying Spray -

My PO loaded 8 large lead ingots into the starboard storage compartments behind the dinette seats, I assume to counter the list issue, although I have never noticed it.  I removed them and gained about a knot and a half!  The list is just a couple of degrees - someone did a study somewhere I think, but it really is inconsequential.  It may give you a slight advantage going to windward on port tack!  Tartan 37s have a similar list.  If it bothers you, just load everything to starboard.

Mike

PS I have 8 large lead ingots somewhere and you can have them if you pay the shipping...

Mark Wey

Mike

Just for interests sake. What did the 8 large lead ingots weigh? A knot and a half is certainly substantial. :?:

Mark
Mark Wey
2004 C-36

Stu Jackson

Flying Spray

As the owner of a new good old boat, many of us recommend that you review the previous almost 20 years of information on the main website soon, if you haven't already.  Much of that material was gathered during the first ten years of the production runs and includes invaluable information you WILL want and NEED to know about your boat.

The FAQ section has this:  http://www.c34ia.org/faq-pages/faq-port-list.html

Also, let us get to know you by name, see: http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=2023&highlight=identification

Welcome aboard,
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mark G

What a relief to see this post. I had logged on to ask the specific question myself. I now have a 1991 wing keel and have been wondering what the heck was going on with the list. Today, I filled the water tanks and got rid of some of it. I had visions of the boat having been dropped in the yard. Oh well, I guess we'll just load things on the starboard side.

By the way, I am totally amazed at how much faster this boat sails and how much better than my C30. The 30 was a nice boat, but this one is a dream. Goodbye weather helm.

Ron Hill

Keep the holding tank as empty as possible, keep the starboard water tank full (Xferr from the aft or front tank), put your starting battery on the starboard side and I even have my tool box under the stove. (wonder why the MKII have the water heater on the starboard side?)

Adding on dead weight is a killer.  Just think starboard when adding large/heavy items - especially like a AC compressor!!   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788