New Rudder Installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve

Hello to all Catalina 34 owners. I am a proud new owner of hull #1221 here in Gulf Breeze, Fl. Having some trouble right now not being able to sail. "Aurora" needs a new rudder. Catalina is now making me one and will ship it soon. Can this rudder be changed in the water?

John Sheehan

Hi Steve,

Welcome to the organization and neighborhood.  Looking forward to getting together with you and the rest of our gang here.
John Sheehan
Sea Shell
2003 MKII  # 1642
Gulf Breeze, FL

Ron Hill

Steve : Congratulation on your new (to you) C34.

NO, you can't change out the rudder while in the water.  You'll need to pull the boat and disconnect the steering and drop the old rudder out.  Then measure the holes and drill the new rudder column for the steering quadrant.  You must match the old to the new stainless column - the length, hole/s and adapt the emergency tiller connection before installation of the new rudder.  You'll probably have to remove the aft cabin panel and remove the aft water tank to get at the steering quadrant connections.  
The travel lift will have to lift the boat up about 5/6 ft ground to bottom of keel - or dig a hole to get the old rudder out and the new one in.  
Good luck. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

David Sanner

If I remember correctly Dave Davis swapped out his rudder
in the water... the diver had to use weights as it wanted
to float out from under him during the install.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Guys : I apologize to this form for saying "can't".  I should learn to never say never!!
If Steve's boat that's in the water now has the old rudder still on it as the post lead me to believe and,
If the new rudder is coming from the factory without holes drilled for the steering quadrant like MOST new rudders and
If the top of the column is not adapted for the emergency steering,
My hat's off to the driver that takes on this task.

All I was trying to point out is the work necessary to do the exchange of one rudder to the a new one and how MOST people would do it.   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

karista

I remember reading instructions of replacing the rudder in the water, complete with sketches. I went to the boat and found them, they were listed some time ago on the Catalina 38 site. If you would like me to send/fax you a copy, send me a email with your fax number.
Bernd :thumb:
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Mike Smith

Karista -

Perhaps you could share the instructions with the rest of us, too.  Maybe send a copy to Mark Elkin as a Project?

Mike

Steve

My rudder has been changed in the water! The old one dropped right out and Walker Marine out of Ft. Walton, Fl. installed the new one. The shaft had to be cut off four inches and four holes drilled into it for the proper fit. This took two hours, stainless steel was cut with a sawzaw and three metal blades! Changing the rudder in the water can be done!!![/b]

dave davis

What makes my rudder installation easy is that the new rudder was cast around the old rudder post. Therefor all the holes were in the correct place. I have heard somewhere that the CY are no longer offering that service. They may be making new rudders with new posts only.
The only thing that went wrong with my installation was that the CY put too much glass around the upper portion of the rudder and when I turned the wheel on a full turn, there was interference against the hull. It felt strange and I did not find out what was happening until my next haul. I had to grind off about 1/2 of glass to get the clearance I needed without hitting. I informed the CY so they would be aware of the problem.
Good Luck
Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach

SteveLyle

OK, what I'd like to understand is why anyone would want/need to do it this way?  It just seems that the most straightforward way to do it is to get the boat on a lift, drop the rudder, raise the boat up till the post clears the hull, insert new rudder, lower boat, voila.  What's wrong with this picture?

Mike Smith

Steve -

What's wrong with this picture?

HURRICANE IVAN!!!

With half of us still living in what is essentially a nuclear wasteland, and with yard reservations scheduled out to nine - twelve (9-12) months down here, changing the rudder out in the water makes a lot of freakin' sense to me!  Seriously, be sure to (1) read the last issue of the Mainsheet about the effects of hurricanes Charley and Ivan, only two of four to strike Florida last year, (2) read my article "It's Coming Right Here" in the August '05 issue about the effects of Ivan here at Ground Zero, FL (what we used to call Gulf Breeze), and (3) watch the Weather Channel Storm Stories series, Season of Suspense,  tonight (7:00 CST all this week) for a close-up of what really happened last September 16 during Ivan and what Fleet 8 and the rest of us are all still living with down here on the Emerald Coast.

Mike

Steve

Mike,

Walker Marine is returning Friday to reinstall steering cables and do a shakedown sail to check everything over. I am totally impressed with their work. I've been out of the loop for a while with family care leave. Anyway having the rudder changed in the water saves a ton of time awaiting yard space. As you know all yards are filled to capacity and working double hard at getting everyone one put back together so we can all enjoy our favorite past time - SAILING !!!!!!!!!!!!!  See you on the water!!!!

Steve
"Aurora"
Hull #1221

SteveLyle

Wow.

Makes the winters up here seem a little more bearable.

Steve