Battery Combiner

Previous topic - Next topic

ken003

In an earlier post (electrical upgrade), I wrote that I was planning on installing a separate AGM start battery to go with the two original 4D deep cycle wet cell batteries as the house bank.  I asked Jack Rabbit Energy people about using the Digital Duo Charge unit to combine them.  They suggested I use the Echo Charger even though I am using different battery types.  Their words were:  
    "The use of a charge sharing device is very good in that means that ALL charging sources can be directed to House bank and the device shares that charge with the Start bank.  I would recommend the use of an Echo-Charge (15amp max.) versus the DDC (30 amp max.).  Both are quality devices but you do not need 30 amp capability for the Start bank."  

I asked about the different battery types and their reply was:  
    "The charging program for deep cycle wet cells and AGM are virtually identical (within .02 volts).  Since the Start bank is NOT being deep cycled, the wet cell charge voltage should be just fine."

Does this sound okay?  Should I use the Echo Charger and save a few dollars?

Ken

Stu Jackson

Ken

Just browsing and came across this unanswered post.

I agree.  15 amps is more than enough for your start battery.  The Duo is unnecessary.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."