rub rail rubber

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

After a less than perfect approach to a slip while cruising, a 1 foot section of rubber removed itself (popped out) from the aluminum track. There is no damage to the track or to the rubber. It appears that the length of rubber is longer than the empty space in the track. There is no indication either that the 30 plus feet of rubber has "slid" backward in the track.

I've been told to try a rubber mallet to coax the rubber back. If this doesn't work do I need to remove all of the rubber and start over by inserting the entire length  into the track?

Thanks,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : You have stretched the vinyl rub rail and pulled it out of the aluminum holder.  
The ONLY way to get it ALL back in is to go down the rub rail in the direction it was stretched out of, pulling it out for about 5/6 ft and start to push it back in - little by little.  It'll take some pushing, but it'll all go back in.  Worst thing you could do is to cut some out - as it's now narrower and will eventually fall out of the holder.
Most Catalina owners learn early on that when they hit a dock/piling, make sure there is NO forward or aft speed.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Heyman

Thanks Ron,

By the time I read your reply I had succeeded in pushing all but six inches or so back in the track. It appears that I may have to wait until we get back to our home port to get the last bit of stubborn vinyl back in. (I can impress another pair of hands into service). Thanks for the help.

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il