Mounting LCD TV

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

I'm thinking of mounting an LCD TV in the main cabin on the bulkhead between the main and forward cabin.  I'm concerned how much pounding the LCD TV can take in rough water.  Does anyone have experience in mounting the TV permanently here or should I plan on taking it down each time I sail?

Paul
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Paul Bosquet

I have a 13" LCD mounted on the bulkhead of the head above the storage behind the nav table. I bought a multi position  double arm bracket which allows me to swing it so it can be viewed from different places including from the starboard seat in the cockpit. When sailing ,I secure the arm so it does not swing. Will have some pics when I reinstall the TV in a week or so
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Rick Johnson

What TV are you installing?  I was trying to find one with a 12 volt power supply, but no luck so far except for automobile type systems and they have small screens.
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

ed borns

I just mounted a 20 inch LCD on my boat between the front cabin
and the main cabin .The wall is very thin there with no supports,
so I used a block of wood on the back side to support the bracket and the TV.
Also ran my cables through a small hole to  power outlet in front cabin.
I was out on the Bay in 30 knots of wind and it held up good.

Paul Blumenfeld

The unit is the 15" RCA 15L500 with built in DVD player.
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Paul Bosquet

This is the bracket I use for my TV.

On it I have a 13" Sharp LCD TV. The new model have a 12 volt type plug so it can be connected directly to the boat's system. Also I recommend a car stereo / DVD unit, you plug your TV into it and have great sound using the Stereo , Great for movies .
http://store.soundzoo.net/poacdvmpcdcd1.html  ,  http://store.soundzoo.net/vdvd300.html
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79835&item=5742803802&rd=1,   ,  http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79835&item=5742829313&rd=1
Don't forget the popcorn !!!!!!

Paul
Eliosso C34 986
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Gene Regan

Great bracket Paul but where did you find it? And thanks for the photos a good one for the projects page.
Thanks

Paul Bosquet

The bracket was purchased at Future Shop here in Canada
CDN equivalent to Brand Mart USA, Paid a little over $100.00US, Will send another pic when TV is installed
Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Gene Regan

john meyer

I have the same bracket, (SANUS VM3 LCD).  I shopped around the net and bought it for about $65.  I've mounted it on the bulkhead next to the forward cabin so that the TV can be swung around and into the forward cabin for bed time TV.  Although the bracket is very strong, I further secure the TV away from the dock with a nylon strap.  My TV is an Audiovox 1210 ( 12") w/ built in DVD player and wireless, headphones - AC/DC.

Brad Costan

Rick

You mentioned you were unable to find a 12v LCD tv.....

Take a look at the back of the tv's.....ALL LCD tv's under 22" are 12v systems naturally.   At the power connector, it should read  12v-DC input.

All of the tv's come with a cord that steps up the voltage from 12v to  110v for home use.

You should be able to simply cut the step up transformer off of the factory cord, and solder on a cigarette lighter adapter and you are good to go.

Manufacturers use 12v on LCD's as the voltage is much easier for them to manage around the screens....

I contacted one of the manufacturers (Sharp) inquiring about if they made a 12v cord that I could buy, and they said no, there wasn't a big enough demand for it.    They also said you can buy a "universal" DC adapter that should work for it.....that way you wouldn't have to cut the factory cord that comes with it.

Brad

Brad Costan

as a side note.....you can buy an inexpensive inverter since the LCD's don't draw a ton of power and that will work just fine.

Also, just to clarify, I don't recommend cutting off the factory plug....it's far simpler to just buy a universal DC adapter which will also provide you with some sort of fused overload protection (if you get one of the good ones).  

Brad

Joe Kern

I am thinking of mounting an LCD TV above the storage area aft of the Nav Station.  I would like to do a wallmount but am not sure how much weight the bulkhead can support.  Does anyone know whether it is a solid piece of wood?  I don't want to drill through it and thus through the wall of the head but I am not sure whether just screwing into the bulkhead will be a strong enough support for a 15-20 inch LCD with DVD

Joe Kern
2005 C34MKII - Hull #1717
Jenny Jewel
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

willie

http://www.pc-land.com/simplelife/simple_life_dbase/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=14&posts=6

This is what I did. It works great.

its a Dell mount and Dell 19" wide screen. I sail with it no problem.

Joe Kern

I ended up mounting mine over the Nav station.  15 inch  on a cantalivered mount.  Through the bulkhead and head wall.  Power and cable hook-up right there as well.
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl