Instruments installation

Previous topic - Next topic

tstrand

If you're interested in the "above the companionway" mounting position, here's another neat installation. Okay, this one is on a 40-foot Island Packet, but I eyeballed it on Calico and it looks like it would fit.

Source: www.sailcharbonneau.com - other clever ideas there as well.
Tim Strand
Calico #572
Santa Barbara, CA

rirvine

Here is one way to set-up the instrument displays so all can see them + hear the VHF or the music.    Mount at the foward end of the companion-way on a Catalina 34 MkII

Paul Bosquet

Here is a template that I made that will be used as a guide to make a teak box that will be installed above the companionway. My question is what is the best way to bring the wiring through the roof. Would like input especially from those who have done it.
Thanks
Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Paul Bosquet

Well it took time and effort but here is the result of my new instrument pod made of ORIKO , and wood similar to Teak but 1/2 the price.

Instrument are Simrad "the cruise pack" wind/depth/log

Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Mike Smith

Paul -

Very nice, looks great!  How did you wire the instruments?

Mike

Paul Bosquet

Mike
wires come out the back of the pod to the port side through the roof just forward of the head bulkhead, down through the top of the close locker. There will be a molding installed to hide the wire coming down the bulkhead.
I will also make a molding to hide the wires passing on the roof , about 12"Long.
The only problem now is that after making all the connections, they don't work.!!!!@#$$?%&*
Never a dull moment. it is suppose to be an easy job !!!!!!!!!
Paul
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Mike Smith

Hang in there, Paul!  It will turn out to be something very simple.  Again, great job.

Mike

Paul Bosquet

Well I got them to work, had a problem with the ground.
Need to calibrated them but all works well and are visible from behind the helm. Need only to conceal the wires. The pod is bolted to the side rails and is very strong, Now am a happy camper. On to the next project.
Paul
ps , am not aground, need only to adjust the depth sounder
C34, 1989, Hull #986