Instruments installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Bosquet

Just ordered new instruments Simrad Cruise Pack for Eliosso.
Am thinking of different possibilities for the installation. Have 3 instruments to install.
Option 1) replace grab bar and install triple pod on higher 54" grab bar
Option 2) Install on a piece of teak just under the companionway step
Option 3) Install under the dodger above sliding hatch ( I like that one)   in a triple pod
Has anybody tried option 2 or 3 or any other configuration, would like pros and cons and any other brilliant ideas you might come up with

Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Stu Jackson

Not brilliant, just basic:

1.  Forward locations:  How is your eyesight and how big are the instrument letters?  If you have to wear glasses to see them, think about the situation of switching from instruments to binoculars and back again.

2.  Higher mounting on binnacle:  I've heard of boats with such great instrument displays that the owners were required to either buy a helmsman's seat or stand all the time to look above the display.  While the instruments provide great information, they shouldn't be in the way of enjoying the sailing of the boat, which includes looking forward.   :lol:

I enjoy our basic three instruments:  speed & wind on each side of the compass, and depth on the starboard cockpit side about where the control panel is on the port side, but a bit lower.

You might want to consider an Option 4 - splitting them up like that (admittedly old 1986 style) near the helm that so they are close but not overwhelming.

PS  Paul, what's your year and hull #?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Paul Bosquet

C34, 1989, Hull #986

captran

Well, I miss having my auto pilot next to the hatch.  My 4000st is mounted on the binnacle with the other instruments.  Used to be on my old boat I could steer huddled up inside the dodger using the autohelm.  just a thought.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

SteveLyle

If you really still want to huddle, Raymarine sells a corded remote for the ST4000+.

Stu Jackson

Paul

I recollect that Steve Lyle did a tremendous writeup of his instrument installation in a recent Mainsheet.  Please check Tech Notes Online, if you're a member of the C34IA you can read them all.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Mike Smith

Paul -

I have Raymarine instruments on Breezer which have a lot of buttons for swapping displays, turning off alarms, entering data, etc. so I like mine within easy reach on the pedestal guard.  If you have three instruments, then I would suggest mounting them in a pod on an angled pedestal guard.  Mount the pod lower on the angled portion, not up high on the vertical portion.  That way, the instruments won't block your view forward.  When you look down you will be viewing them straight on, not at an angle.  Also, you can safely cut up to 3" off the angled pedestal guard to lower the instruments even more.  To add more instruments without blocking your view, Edson makes single instrument pods with an adjustable bracket which mounts off to the side on the pedestal guard.  They also make a similar bracket for your GPS.

Mike

SteveLyle

Stu - can you delete the previous post?

What's the easy way to control a jpg size?

Anyway, here's my setup - from the May '04 Mainsheet.

rirvine

Paul:

Where you put the instructions depends on the main use of your boat.  If you cruise, having them where only the driver can see them is AOK.  If you race at all, you need to have wind direction, wind speed, SPD, SOG, VMG, distance to the mark, bearing to the mark etc all mounted where they can be seen by the crew.  I have my repeaters (Raymarine ST-60) mounted across the forward end of the companionway.  The displays data is larger enough to be read by all including the driver.

Hope this helps, Ray

Ron Hill

Paul : Go back to the Nov 1998 Mainsheet Tech notes (in your CD) that I published, and you'll see a picture of an instrument configuration which maybe what you're looking for.  It's over the top forward part of the companion way and under the dodger.  
Good stuff and ideas in those Mainsheet tech notes!  No sense in reinventing the wheel!  :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

After consideration, I think this is the way I will go. Viewing of the instruments will be good as digits are very large on the Simrad instruments. Routing of wiring will be relatively easy.
One problem I had was a melted wire from my instruments caused by the pod pivoting on the grab rail and cutting the wire and creating a short. No wonder they were not working!
Who ever said that 12 volts was not a potential for fire !!!!!

Any suggestions on how to bevel the edge of the transducer hole to get a good fit
Getting the old transducers out was quite a job, I think they were secure with 5200.
Will send pic of final installation.
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Stu Jackson

Quote from: SteveLyleStu - can you delete the previous post?

What's the easy way to control a JPG size?

Anyway, here's my setup - from the May '04 Mainsheet.

Steve:

1.  done

2.  I've found that th KB size isn't the controlling factor, but rather the physical size, although they are proportional.  I use Photo Paint from Corel and use the RESAMPLE option on the Image menu.  I size it to 5 or 6 inches at 72 dpi and the pictures come out reasonably well sized for posting.

3.  Still a nice installation, well done.

Paul

Only consideration for your proposed installation is/are FEET.  If you're a cruiser ti may not be much of an issue, but if you encounter heavy weather, slippery decks, or race, you may need to consider a way to protect the instruments at that location.

Roc

Paul,
If you mount them at the base of the companion way like your picture shows, isn't there the potential that the instruments could accidentally be kicked?
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Paul Bosquet

My instruments were mounted in pods at the helm and the pods pivoted a Little and cut the wire and caused a short That could of set the boat on fire.They were in a safe place.
I've done the exercise many times to go in and out of the companionway and no problem. It is actually quite a safe place.
We cruise on  lake Champlain that is about 100 miles long and 14 miles wide at the widest.
Might install a clear Plexi in front to add additional protection just like the one in front of the engine instrument panel. There ia always the chance that I have a clutz on board !!! I don't want to have to replace them again. Hey , I could end up being that clutz myself, no one is immune !!!!
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ron Hill

Paul : There are two primary considerations on where you mount your instruments:
1.  The size of the display so they are easily read (at the helm) from where ever they are mounted and
2.  What might get in the way of the helms person seeing the instrument.

Under the center of the companion way is NOT a good place to mount instruments.  If there are people sitting in the cockpit and the boat heels the people will put their legs up on the opposite side to brace themselves.  The more the heel (when the helms persons needs to see them the most) the more legs will go up to block the view of the instruments.
You might want to read that Mainsheet article I previously pointed out!!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788