Backstay Adjuster Re-Visited

Previous topic - Next topic

dprice

I installed a split backstay adjuster last season that I purchased from Garhauer.  1998 MrkII model.  I am having 2 issues with it so I want to try a different approach.  The 2 issues I am having is that it binds so it does not go "Back Up" when released and I have some interference from the rear dodger that would required me to have it re-cut or I need to unzip it every time I use the adjuster.

For these 2 reason I thought I would add a block to the backstay in the center of where the 2 split portions join the primary. I would then run line in parallel to the existing split legs and up to this new block and back through some blocks to allow for adjustment.  When under tension the existing split legs will have slack in them but will act as a safety if anything were to cause the line to fail.

To accomplish this I need to fabricate a new piece to replace the current triangle shaped plate where the primary and split backstay segments join.  The new plate would be diamond shaped instead and have an extra hole between the 2 split segments to allow for the adding of the new block.

I would appreciate any thoughts if anyone can think of why this setup may be a bad idea.

And to save a trip half way up the backstay if anyone knows the clevis pin sizes currently used for the primary and 2 split backstays where they join up.

Thanks

Ron Hill

Un : Why don't you pose your problem to Garhauer?   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788