Air Conditioning

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

My A/C -Heater finally died this weekend, it was getting progressively weaker all last season so it was not a big surprise.  Thinking about replacing it with a Ocean Breeze unit from Quorum Marine & Electronics based in Stuart, Fl.  Anybody have any experience (good or bad) with them?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike Smith

Ken -

Don't know anything about that company, but I highly recommend Mermaid. They are well known, located in Ft. Meyers, FL and have a unit for just about every application.  I'm installing their smallest unit in the forepeak on Breezer right now.  They have two installation kit versions and some neat accessories. Everything is self contained and I like the five year warranty. They have been very responsive to every question I have had and have offerred a ton of advice about my specific application.  Best prices for the units are on Defender.com.  If I can be of any help, let me know. I appreciated the pictures you sent of your installation.

Mike

captran

I too am happy with the 16000 btu mermaid unit.  Ours is mounted under the seat forwardmost of the dining table.  The intake vent is cut out there, with a vent into the main cabin and a vent forward.  Should have a vent to the aft as well.  When we bought Voyager there was a rust hole in the tubing that contains the refrigerant.  shipped it from Georgia to Ft Meyers and they shipped it to Ft pierce less than a week later, fully refurbished.  The water pump did go out last year and we replaced it with the March Pump that Mermaid now sells.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ron Hill

Ken : Why don't you call somebody in Deltaville to look at your old one.  You might be able to repair it easily.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

I've been down that road all ready.  The compressor was starting to act up last summer, local mech said it was cheaper to replace the whole unit than replace just the compressor.  Now it's blowing the Fuse with just the fan circulating air.  Inquired about replacing the brushes, the fan motor was designed to be non repairable, would need to find a new motor and retrofit.  I figure most A/C units have a life of 10-14 years, mine is probably at the top end of that range.  Tired of spending my time trying to coax more life out of it.

Ron have you checked your PM's?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA