34 vs 36

Previous topic - Next topic

sappple

I am looking for hands on opinions comparing the 34 vs the 36.  The spec differences I have looked at, but I want to know how the two boats compare in daily use: coastal cruising, maintenance problems, cost of upkeep, ease of sailing short crewed, etc.  Thanks for any input in advance.  If possible address boats in 1987-1991 years.  This is my price range.

Ted Pounds

You'll find them virtually identical.  On the end of my dock we have 2 36's, my 34, a 36 and a 34 basically right in a row and another 34 on the opposite side.  They all sail similarly and we all have the same maintenance chores.  I think there's more difference between,  for instance, a wing and a fin of the same model versus a fin 34 and a fin 36.  So it comes down to which layout you like better.  There is, of course, a little more room on the 36 but since docking, storage, etc is based on length, you'll pay more for that extra space.  Just my thoughts...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Sap : As Ted said they are almost identical.
They have the same engine, spars and sub systems(water, head etc).  
The big difference is in the interior layout - head aft vs head forward.  The 34 has a larger Vberth, but the 36 has a larger galley area.  
Your choice.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Vaccaro

We looked at both the 34 and 36 and settled on the 34 due to the aft head (we've got small children and it keeps 'em from traipsing through the cabin when they are wet!).  Also, we liked the aft berth in the Mark 1 34 better than the aft birth in the 36, although this ended up being the closet!  One nice feature on some 36's with a traditional interior is the bulkhead mounted table.  It frees up the cabin nicely when stowed.  

Like the folks have said, it's really six of one, half a dozen of the other!  Both are great boats with identical systems.  Concur that wing vs. fin and tall vs. standard as well as equipment and overall condition mean more than 34 or 36 feet of overall length.  By expanding your search to EITHER a suitable 36 or 34, you've got that many more boats to choose from.  

Best of luck!

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

jpaulroberts

I bought a 1987 C-34 last September after looking at lots of 34s and 36s. I almost bought a 36 until I realized that the 34 is actually 34.5 and has what I feel is a better interior. I love the aft head and the aft cabin feels less claustrophobic on the 34 than the 36. I also think the 34 has more opening ports which is a big plus for ventilation and a feeling of brightness. I guess it comes down to which boat you can get a better deal on and is in good shape. Good luck.

Stephen Butler

We purchased a 1990 C34 a year ago, after much looking at both the 36 and 34.  Went with the 34, due to the aft placed head, larger v-berth, and smaller galley (allowing cookie to wedge in better).  Also agree that the 34's aft berth "seems" less tight, but the numbers do not support this.  We have a fin keel and standard rig, and have been very pleased with our selection after 500+ miles on the log.  Think you really cannot go wrong with either the 34 or 36, but would look real hard for a 34!  Good luck!
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

sappple

Thanks to those of you who took the time to reply.  I am going to look at both boats closely during the nest month.

jpaulroberts

By the way, I think the big difference on the aft cabin is that on the 36 you're meant to sleep fore and aft which makes the most sense on paper, but in reality, the arrangement on the 34 is more practical. On the 36 you sleep completely under the cockpit with out any room to sit up in bed. Yes, in theory you have a couch beside you, but why would you sit there when you can sit out in the main cabin?  In the 34 you sleep with your heads on the starboard side. There is lots of room to sit up in bed to read. I think it's a much better arrangement. And let me tell you, the aft head makes the 34 better on its own. It's just a pleasure to use it, or shower in there. I'm 6 foot tall and I'm a big guy and I love not having to squeeze into a forward head anymore. Anyway, good luck on you search. Jerry

John Langford

I am adjusting to the smaller size of the C34 head after 10 years swanning about in the huge C320 head (the earlier C320 heads were particularly large). The one thing I can't get used to is the space between the bottom of the cockpit seat back and the sink. Maybe I have a big head but I just can't seem to get water to my face when shaving or brushing my teeth. If the designer would agree to drop the counter level a few inches and pull the sink an inch or two forward I would buy a new 34!

BTW, I wouldn't go back to the 320 for the head size or any other reason. Kate and I have really bonded to this boat. Now I just have to learn how to make Calypso go a bit faster to weather...
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Roc

I agree with John, the sink on the 34 with the cockpit seat over it is quite difficult to use.  I think the Catalina designers should have switched the location of the sink to where the toilet is installed.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Stu Jackson

Two Proposed C34 Head Sink Solutions:

1.  Maintain the Catalina 25 Stoop - this occurs because without the pop top up, one of normal head height has to maintain a stoop whenever down below.  It works just great for the C34 head sink, except you never get to stand up because your back has a permanent droop.

2.  Wash Only Hands in Head Sink -  Anything Else, Use Galley Sink, It's Not So Far Away and You Never have to bend down - self-explanatory  :lol:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Vaccaro

Kinda interesting, isn't it?  In the 80's, the design trend in cruising boats was making the transition from "making the boat go and keep water out of the boat" to "make the boat go with decent accommodations below while keeping the water out of the boat."  

Catalina has been extremely responsive to customer input/desires as evidenced by the newer generations of designs, with the 320 at the leading edge of that group.  The 350 is the perfect example of a "clean sheet" cruiser in the same class as the older 34.  Much of the benefit has been derived from the widespread proliferation of software that allows ergonomic engineering to be incorporated into design.  Now it's possible to model just exactly how the fleet average, 170 lb 6 foot interfaces with the head/sink/cockpit (name a component or space...).  

What's even more interesting is that most of the older Catalinas are still in production, so evidently there is still sufficient demand for more "traditional" spaces, although the "mark II" versions incorporate substantive changes to rigging, deck hardware and ground tackle equipment--a bit more evolutionary approach.  Since Catalinas are hand-built, there is sufficient flexibility in production to maintain such a diverse product line.  

With as many different Catalina models that are available and the huge number of older boats afloat, there's a model for just about everybody.  Guess that's why Frank Butler's company has done so well over the past couple of decades...

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel