New Headsail???

Previous topic - Next topic

RON SCHERER

Boy do I LOVE my new Profurl. Sure beats hanking on the little 110 that I had converted to go on the new furler. My question now is why should I spend approx. $2500.00 on a new 130 head sail from one of the big sail makers rather than $1200.00--$1500.00 from a place like National or one of the other sail companys? If I were to order a new sail from National or someone else will it go on the new furler ok? What do I need to tell them when I order the sail? Have any of you folks out there purchased a sail this way and are you a happy user? I welcome your comments. Thanks to all that respond---Ron

Jim Price

You might want to review the latest edition of Practical Sailor.  they have a review on several sail makers (pros and cons) that are not the main stream "big guys".  More options.  

Also, I would think that if you describe your furler installation with any one who sells sails (that sounds weird!) and they don't already know the specs for your boat and your furler, then that might be clew to look somewhere else.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Ron Hill

Ron : You need to tell the sailmaker the length of the luff and the type roller furler that you have.  If you don't want a "deck sweeper" also let him know that.  Get at least 3 bids!!
Some other options you might consider are: foot/leach lines, draft stripes, type material (dacron, laminate, mylar, etc), sail #s, type of UV cover and cut of the sail so it is a reef-able headsail.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Jenks

I purchased a new 150% from Somerset Sails in New York. I checked out their web page (somersetsails.com), called them to place the order and about 4 weeks later it arrived at my post office (they sent it by US Postal Service). I used it most Wednesday nights for racing last summer. It is what they call a Cruz-Radial and is made of dacron. They were very easy to work with. They knew the boat but just had me double check the forestay length. It fit perfectly and appears to be well built and I have not had any problems with it at all. I asked them to build it for my Schaffer 2100 furler but I have never rolled it up. I did not have a UV cover put on since I did not want the extra weight. I only use it for racing and at the end of the evening my crew folds it up and puts the 130% back on the furler. I would buy another sail from them. Just my .02.
Bill Jenks
Treasurer C34IA
Unzipped  Catalina 34 #1484
BOB San Juan 21 #19
Tacoma WA