Aft cabin window leaks

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland Gendreau

Both of the aft cabin (cockpit) windows on my 1992 are seeping rainwater.

When I removed one of them, I found there is factory applied RTV type sealant around the external perimeter. Does this need to be removed and reapplied?

What is the correct way to re-seal them? What sealant should be used?

Thanks in advance

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

SteveLyle

All sealants are divided into 3 parts (with apologies to Caesar, one day late):

Polyurethane - nope, what you're doing isn't permanent
Polysulfide - tends to eat plastic
Silicon - probably what you want

I used silicon (GE) when I rebedded my cabin ports, and it's working fine.  Buy the best (i.e., most expensive) you can find, and go to it.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Roland:

Try this:  http://www.c34.org/faq-pages/faq-beckson.html

It's also on your CD-ROM.

Depends on where the leak is coming from.  I removed and re-bedded our forward starboard in the V berth, used lots of silicone (West Marine) and it's been fine for six years.  You gets what you pays for usually, so Steve's right on the mark.  Besides, a tube will do one port-light.  Be VERY liberal with the seal between trim rings both inside and outside.  What ever seeps out you can always cut off with a knife.  I've left my silicone seepage around the edge of the inside trim ring showing inside, so I remember which port I've already redone.  :roll:

OTOH, I also just purchased my second set of Beckson gaskets (GK-512).  Many times the leak's from between the inside plastic and the frame.

The FAQ with Captain Al's wooden removal tool worked wonders.  Sounds like yours are out already.

Also see Steve Lyle's First Year Weblog on this MB about his port funnies.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Roland Gendreau

Thanks guys.

It appears the problem with my cockpit windows might be the gasket as well.

If anyone knows the gasket size required for the Beckson windows on the 1992, let me know.. It will save me a 40 mile RT drive.

Roland
"Gratitude" #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Stu Jackson

Roland

See my post above, the model # is right there.  They are 5 x 12 ports.

Beckson's phone # is 203-333-1412.

It just (March 2005) cost me $45.15 (including about $7 shipping and handling) for 6 gaskets for our ports.  I paid $37 for 8 of them six years ago.  I recommend you buy a bunch, they'll always fit and they'll never get less expensive.  There are also very good installation instructions with the gaskets - it is a bit tricky around the corners.  While you only have two on your boat (the rest being Lewmars) our older boat have eight Beckson ports.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

captran

On the newer Mark II's, they have the lewmar ports that I have been very frustrated with, both the screens and leakage.  I'm wondering if anyone knows the dimensions of the Mark II (1997ish) openings if I were to try to replace the Lewmars with the becksons?  or should I try to replace the lewmar gaskets and just not worry about the screens. (now that I'm in the NW I am less worried about getting air below and the mosquito's of the SE.)
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Randy

I've heard of people switching hatches, but usually FROM Beckson TO Lewmar.

The dimensions of the Beckson's can be found by going to the FAQ page I noted in the post above and following it along to Beckson's website - they have pretty good dimensions posted, and complete installation instructions - one of the better websites around - should answer all of your questions better than I can.

Obviously, the looks are quite different.  You will need the Rain Drain ports, which are designed to be installed on slanted surfaces.  They installed the Rain Drains in the cockpit, too, although not actually required.  Size is 5 x 12 as noted above.

The simplicity of the Beckson construction is an advantage, although a lot of Lewmar skippers have managed to make theirs work.

We do find, however, that even with the Rain Drains, the slope of the cabin top sides is enough to keep water sitting in the bottom of the ports in the forward one or two port lights because the drain spigot is close to horizontal.

Chuck Hughes, who had #223 to our #224, purchased new lenses for his boat, and when I saw it a few years ago, it looked brand new.  Nice option with Beckson.

captran

Since I'm not on the boat right now, does anyone know what size the lewmar ports are on MarkII's circa 1997 (and model #).  Wouldn't you know it, but the website below asks for MM measurements.  I'm thinking maybe I could get some gaskets to start with before considering the switch to Beckson.  The Lewmars have always leaked since I bought the boat, (and it wasn't that old when I got it), but I'm so burdened with projects, if there is a temporary fix, I'd take it.  and ideas on which mm it is???  Also, on this site they reference several different types... "old standard", "Atlantic portlight", "new standard portlight"...

http://www.lewmar.com/webspares/index.asp

Any info always appreciated.

Thanks

Randy
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Mike Vaccaro

Randy,

The Lewmar portlights on our '88 are "old standard" size 1.  Don't know what year they changed to "new standard."  Suspect that there were plenty of "old standard" lights floating around after the transition.  You might have a chat with the folks at Lewmar or search their website to determine parts compatibility.  Parts for "old standard" lights are still available.

Cheers,

Mike
1988 C34 Hull #563
Std Rig / Wing Keel

captran

Guess I will try Catalina.  Maybe they know and will tell me what they installed.  As you can see from the Lewmar link, there are many sizes among the three different types.  I looked through my owners manual and couldn't find any reference.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

HydroTherapy

Hello,

I also have a leak in the hatches in the aft berth.  Last year I took took out the inside screws and I could not figure how to get the hatches out so I could re-seal them.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.........David #366

Stu Jackson

HydroTherapy

Thanks Stu... Your notes will be a BIG help.

David

Roland Gendreau

After reading the references on the Beckson ports, I cleaned the lens and gasket areas, applied some petroleum jelly to the gaskets per their recommendation, then closed them up and dumped buckets of water on them to see if they still leaked. The forward one stayed dry, but it was clear that the aft one was leaking between the lens and the gasket. So, I ordered new gaskets and am confident that will take care of the issue.

Thanks to all for help!

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Brad Costan

Stu

In your post....you said that he would need Rain Drain ports.

I'm curious, why not the Self Drain models ?

I wondered why Catalina selected the Rain Drain anyway....when the instructions say they are for angels greater than 15 degrees and the Self Drains say for 15 degrees to upright.     Your thoughts ?

I recently bought 2 Self Drains and have yet to install them......

thanks
Brad