Replacing Bow Cleats

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fitch

I have a 1990 C34 and it is really hard to get any decent sized mooring lines on and off the bow cleats.  Has anyone ever replaced these with something better?  Suggestions on a manufacturer and part number?

Thanks,

Jim

Stu Jackson

Jim

Most of us "oldies" with Mark I boats are just so happy to have one bow cleat that we really don't care what size it, or our docklines, are!  

If you actually have a boat that came out of the factory with more than one centered bow cleat, consider yourself lucky.  Must be a Mark II.

Some of those of us with older boats have installed one or two additional bow cleats in addition to the one that the factory was kind to have provided for us.

My experience is that many folks seem to "oversize" their docklines to 5/8 inch, which, I think, is overkill, with the resultant "cleat's too small."

From experience and research on line strength, we use 1/2 inch lines, for docklines, spring lines and other docking and mooring situations.  In some cases, I've used our reel of 200 feet of 3/8 line for "loo....ong" line use.

So, if you're using 5/8 lines, yes, the cleat's'll seem small.  Try 1/2 inch line, it'll work.

If you're already using 1/2" line and you still think the cleats are too small, either the factory gave you the Catalina 22 cleats or we both need new glasses. :)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

Jim, I have a 1991 with two bow cleats and my old slip rigging I used two 5/8" on starborad side and three on the port cleat and never had any issues.  I had the thrid line going straight off the  bow to forward dock cleat.   The others were normal  "90 degree" side and spring line dock cleats.  I agree that either your lines are too large or you have wrong cleats.

By the way, I only LOOP the lines on the bow cleats.  I don't take the line loop through the center of cleat and then around the horns.  If your are doing that, you will have size issues.  Plus you will never free the line off the cleat in a hurry.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

jentine

My 1992 had cleat issues until I cut 1/2" off each end of the bow cleats to allow easy removal of the 1" mooring pennant used by my marina.  The material cuts very easily with a hacksaw.
Jim Kane

Ron Hill

Jim : All of the C34's after 1989 have 2 bow cleats - one on either side.  You can measure the distance between the existing holes for a replacement, but I'm afraid it will be hard to match.  Can't remember if you have space to mount a center cleat or not.  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Breezer came with two very small bow cleats, which could handle maybe 3/8" lline!  Stern cleats were proper size.  When I had my anchor windlass installed I had a single large Marinium cleat installed on the centerline.  We don't use the small bow cleats at all.  If you are going to replace yours, just measure the stern cleat horn length and measure the bolt to bolt distance and head for West Marine, or call Catalina parts for the proper size cleat.

Mike

Jim Fitch

Thanks Mike and others -

The temp was back down to 10 degrees last night.  The next time I go up to kick the snow off the cover I'll do some measuring.

Jim

Stu Jackson

Jim

Instead of increasing the size of your cleats, why not just add your own loop of line to the mooring loop?  If you add a loop 1/2 inch line, and tie any one of many different good knots through the loop of the oversized mooring line, then put that 1/2 line over your cleat(s), you don't have to change the cleats.  If you're concerned about chafe if away from the boat for extended periods, use two additional loop lines through the mooring loop.  I remember they do this in the BVIs, with huge mooring lines big enough for the Titanic, with loops reasonably enough sized to fit over a recreational boat's cleats.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Jim : Sorry, I should have read your query closer.  Here's what I did to allow a better ride off of a mooring:
1.  I made a "tag line" from a piece of 5/8" three strand nylon about 3' long(when finished) and made an eye splice at each end.  One splice has a 1 foot eye and the other end has a 6 inch eye.
2.  I attached a large shackle with a 1 1/2" opening and put it on the 6 " eye opening.
3.  The double ended eye spliced tag line goes thru my bow roller (with the Bruce in place) and the 12" splice loops over my center cleat. (you could use the anchor rode cleat inside you anchor well).
4.  I then attach the shackle (on the 6" splice) thru the loop in the mooring line and secure the shackle pin with a very large ring clip (2").  The ring clip insures that the shackle pin cannot unscrew itself.

That way the bow of the boat rides on a mooring the same way as it rides at anchor.  It also allows the bow roller anchor to remain in place and not chaff against the mooring line.   I've used this same tag line for over 15 years.  Works great for me.
A thought.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Jon Schneider

Mike, that's an interesting addition.  How was your centerline cleat reinforced underneath?

Quote from: Mike SmithBreezer came with two very small bow cleats, which could handle maybe 3/8" lline!  Stern cleats were proper size.  When I had my anchor windlass installed I had a single large Marinium cleat installed on the centerline.  We don't use the small bow cleats at all.  If you are going to replace yours, just measure the stern cleat horn length and measure the bolt to bolt distance and head for West Marine, or call Catalina parts for the proper size cleat.

Mike
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Mike Smith

Jon -

I installed an anchor windlass on Breezer a few years back and wrote it up on the C34 Projects page at http://www.c34ia.org/projects/projects-anchor-windlass.html You can see a picture of the cleat and a description of its installation there. It has withstood several tropical storms and hurricanes both anchored out and at the dock.

Mike

Ron Hill

Jon : The 1986, 87 & 88 year C34s came with a factory installed single 8" cleat mounted just aft of the head stay fitting.  The cleat is mounted with 4 bolts backed with large washers.  
Most of us also installed smaller cleats on each side in the break in the side coming.  Mine are 6" cleats and I wish I had mounted 7" instead.  I used a rectangle of lexan as the backing plate.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Bruce & Sandi L

Well, now you guys have tweeked my interest. Mine is an 86 model, wich I bought two years ago. It has a 9" cleat 1/2 inch off center, beside the bow roller frame, that I can get a 7/8 nylon mooring line on. Then I have two 7" cleats on both sides just even with the front edge of the anchor locker, that take 1/2 inch dock lines with ease. My question is are these origonal or has something been added on?
Bruce (Bugsy) Landolt
EZ DUZ IT
Hull # 203
Puerto Escondido, Baja California, Sur

Jeff Kaplan

jim,  the po of #219 added 2  8" alum. cleats about 20" from the bow on the smooth surface between the nonskid, about 6" apart. each one is 4 bolt, thru bolted, backed by stainless. in line with the bow rollers. i am on a mooring and use a double bridle line and this setup works great. very strong. the boat swings easily at the mooring. i really like the setup. granted ,they take up useable deck space, but if someone goes fore to lay down, they just put a cushion over the cleats. just another suggestion...Jeff
#219, 1986 tall rig/shallow draft. "sedona sunset" atlantic-salem,ma

Stu Jackson

Bruce, they have to be add ons from a PO.  The boats did NOT come with three bow cleats.  They had to be addded since: "The 1986 thru 1988 C34 came with only one centered bow cleat" per Ron's excellent suggestions in: http://www.c34.org/projects/projects-extra-bow-cleats.html

Your #203 is a week or two ahead of our #224, and we only had one cleat until I added our second one a few years ago.

Hope MX is treating you well.