Props

Previous topic - Next topic

sail4dale

I think the specs from N.Z. for the prop /engine/shaft are incorrect.  I belive we have a 35 HP. 1" straight shaft end, with a  1.79:1 reduction.  3000 RPM (maybe 3200)

I have a 3 blade fixed that is 15: x 9 pitch.

I feel we should stick close to this but could accept a 10 pitch.  Wouldn't want to go a laargefr Dia. however

sail4dale

Quick FYI

Martec in Long Beach, CA is a dealer for Flex o Fold.  They will also have a competitive feathering prop from Oz in June or July.  Stainless Steel.  Think I'll wait and see it before I make up my mind.

Steve S.

I am seriously thinking of a feathering prop and will probably go the Strictly Sail in Philly just to check out the various models.  Anybody have any real life experience out there?  I'm leaning towards a feathering model due to cost and improved reverse, but am open to input.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ted Pounds

I have a Flex-O-Fold three blade.  It's a geared (so all blades always move together) folding prop.  I've had it for two years now and have had no problems with reverse.  I think it backs as well or better than my old three blade fixed.   Just my two cents.....
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Chouse

I just installed mine. Noticed a reduction in vibration, decreased prop walk in reverse and increased thrust in forward. In fact the thrust is so much greater that I can feel it on the rudder. It has changed the way my boat handles while motoring which will take some getting used to.

Randy Stolze

Can anyone tell me if you have to shorten or lengthen the shaft going from a fixed three blade to the three blade Flex-O-Fold?
Randy

Ron Hill

Randy : The rule of thumb is: The distance from the aft portion of the strut  to the forward portion of the prop hub should not exceed one shaft diameter.  I reduced that distance to 3/4" so as to further reduce that moment and have less wear on the cutless bearing.   :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Steve S.

sail4dale,

Just installed a flex-o-fold  prop, one of the easiest jobs I have ever done, which makes me wonder :wink:.   On advice from the company, got the 15 x 10 3 blade (instead of the 15 x 9 which is the standard on 34's), which reportedly do well with the M25XP.  Got it at 1 1/4 inches from the strut.  A little long but within tolerance for a 1 inch shaft.  Can't wait to sail with it folded.

Steve
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Steve: Just be aware that the rule of thumb is there to reduce the moment, vibration and wear on the cuttless bearing.    :!:
Ron, Apache #788