PORTABLE JUMP START

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Hill

I'd be somewhat skeptical about 40 to 50 amps; as my battery monitor typically shows 14 to 15 amps while my 2004 Honda EU1000 is powering the Statpower 20.  After all, it's only a 1000 watt gen set.   :?:  :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

Looking at the specs of the Truechage 40, it is written that the typical AC input current @ 120V 1s 8.5Ams
The Specs for the Honda EU1000i is 8.3 amps max.  and 16.7 Max for the EU2000i.
I guess that the numbers speak for themselves. Am still curious how someone is able to run a 40 charger with the 1000i model based on these numbers.
Question.: What is the maximum vertical clearance in the port locker, would it fit there?  I would need 16.7" that seems good place to store it and easily removable for easy access. If not, I guess the lazarette locker would be the only space available without keeping it inside the boat which I don't want to do.
Can anyone with a MK! take a measurement for me  ?

Thank you
Paul
Eliosso  C34 1989 986
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ted Pounds

Back to the original topic:  There's a good article on the portable jump-start packs in this months issue of practical sailor.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Paul : As previously posted on this board.  
The Honda 1000 will fit in the port side cockpit of a C34 MK I and the Honda 2000 will NOT.   :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

Ron,
can you put me in contact with your ' Have a friend that also has a 1000 and also has no problem powering his Statpower 40. '
I would have a few questions for him
Thanks

Paul
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Ted Pounds

Practical Sailor also had another good article on portable generators last month.   :wink:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Paul : I don't put Email addresses on the Message Board.  Give me a call at (540)891-5297.  Ron
Ron, Apache #788

Mike Smith

Ray -

1.  Please get a couple of Carbon Monoxide monitors if you are running a gas powered generator anywhere on or near your boat.

2.  How do you run your power cord from the dink to your boat?

3.  How long will the generator run on a full tank of gas?

Mike

Ray & Sandy Erps

Hello Mike,

I'm not the one with a generator.  I copied and pasted that post from a gentleman on the C-42 website about how he overcame running his battery charger with his Honda generator.  Apparently there could be a problem with some Honda generators.

I'm a 5 to 15 amp/day kind of guy in the summertime so don't worry too much about auxilary power.  I've been boning up on the subject though in case I win the lottery and get a bigger boat.  I sure like the simplicity of firing up a little Honda now and then over monitoring a wind generator, solar cells or towed generator.  This is discussed too on the C-42 website and it looks like a lot of captains are giving the self contained generators another look.  

I also like the idea of having one of these portable jump starters.  As mentioned earlier by Ted, practical sailor did a review on these products.  I like the idea of storing it in the trunk of my wife's car and then loading it up on the boat on weekends "just in case."
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA