Wheel Brake????

Previous topic - Next topic

RON SCHERER

The small hand wheel on the right side of the pedestal. I assume that is called the wheel brake? Mine does nothing except turn. Can someone tell me how to fix it and what is its intended purpose? It appears to have been out of commission for some time. Thanks for the help---Ron S.

Stu Jackson

Ron

Take a look at a West Marine or 2004 BoatUS catalog (near the last few pages) or go to www.edsonmarine.com and check out their online catalog.  You can also order the Edson catalog for free.  It's full of technical detailed information.  The whole wheel brake assembly is pictured.  You should be able to order and install a replacement wheel brake pad, just like on your car brakes. Will require removing the compass, not a big deal.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RON SCHERER

Stu---Thanks again, you were right on AGAIN. I did find the info and the assembly in the very back of the W. M. Catalog. Looks pretty straight for-ward. Just another thing I want to do to Sundance II. Thanks for the help once more. Ron

Ron Hill

Ron : It sounds to me like the shaft (attached to the knob) and or the "pads" have their threads stripped.  As you suspected it is the wheel brake.

I think you need to talk with Will Keen at Edson (508)995-9711 before ordering parts on you own.  A thought.
Ron, Apache #788