New Boat Bottom Prep

Previous topic - Next topic

ken003

Hi,

I have a new C34 on order, expecting delivery in Feb.  I was wondering about the bottom preparation.  Is the epoxy moisture barrier recommended?  The boat comes with 5 year blister protection warranty.  Should we think about doing this later, since we have this warranty?  Our plan is to be in freshwater for the first 2 years and then 2 years in saltwater and then we do not know.  

Also, any other suggestions on what needs to be done to a new boat would be greatly appreciated.  Owning a new boat is new to me.

Ken

Ron Hill

Ken : An epoxy barrier coat(s) in an absolute must!!!
Ask your dealer your question, but I think that the barrier coat is put on by the dealer and not the factory.  
The time to do the barrier coat is when the boat is brand new- don't wait or try to save a few $$.  

WOW, On suggestions for a new boat, you need to read ALL of the Projects list and all of the past Mainsheet Tech Notes as a starter.  As far as what I'd do before I'd splash a C34 boat for the first time? - think I would re pitch the 3 bladed prop.  
Otherwise enjoy the boat and read as much as you can from all of the info on our IC34A site - before I'd start changing things. There's TONs of info & ideas out there. Make sure that your dealer gets you a FREE one year subscription to the Mainsheet and membership in the IC34A. :!:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Bosquet

when I bought my 1989 C34 last year, it had no anti fouling on the hull,. It never did as it always sailed on lake George and the hull was like new. I too though of putting a barrier coat so I call catalina and they said it was not worth it as it already had a protective coating. Here on lake Champlain , there is no need for anti fouling either and the hull is still just like new after a pressure cleaning at haul out
Paul
C34 Eliosso
ELIOSSO , ( Goddess of Lakes & Rivers )
C34, 1989, Hull #986

Stu Jackson

Take very single stainless steel screw on your boat that is screwed into a dissimilar surface and back it out, coat it with Lanacote, and reinsert.  It'll save you hours of &*%$%@#$&**&^%#$@#!!!! in the future.  This includes boom end fittings, block mounts and deck organizer bolts.  Newer boats may not have as many as we older boats do, but find 'em and fix 'em before they make you work 18 hours on a 1 hour project later on.

In a humorous vein  :D , please read this earlier thread:

http://www.c34.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=93&highlight=kennedy
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."