generators

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Hutteball

Does anyone out there carry a small portable ultra quiet generator like the Honda?  Are they really quiet as advertised so as not to disturb your neighbor while at anchor?   We plan to cruse Desolation Sound for at least a month next summer and generally don't plug in to docks when we are out.  Is this a more efficient way to recharge batteries rather than running the diesel?  If you carry one do you get more use than simply emergency power or battery recharging?
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

HydroTherapy

Hello Jack,

I have the Honda 2000w.  I often keep it at the bow and bearly hear in the boat (all hatches closed  except for the entrance to the cabin)on the eco setting (low rpm).  If I run my microwave the rpm go way up and of course you can hear it.  Still not to load.  If you go on the Honda website they will give details of the sound output.

I am very happy with it.  My friend has one also and he uses it to heat water and charge batteries.

I bought it on the internet for about $850.00 with a  marine cover.

I hope this helps,

David

PS: It came in very handy during the blackout several years ago in the Northeast.

hdevera

I too have this generator and am very satisfied.  Regarding the noise, you can plan on it being loud... although the Honda is less noisy then most.  You will need to know your inverter amp output and make sure that you can alter the amps being used, since the generator only outputs a limited number of amps.  Otherwise you will have to charge the battery directly but I don't think that using the 12 volt output on the generator to charge the battery is regulated (not sure).  I have the link 2000 and this allows me to program the amp output of the inverter/charger, so I can use my particular charger/inverter.  Hope this helps.

To find the details on this, Power Share feature, go here: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1474.0.html  [Stu Nov. 2009]

Ron Hill

Jack : I have a Honda 1000W.  I think it's great and is quiet.  The 1000W will fit in the port side locker for storage, but the 2000W is too tall for that locker.
I use mine on AC and run a short cord to the boats shore power inlet and then turn on the battery charger.  I usually see about 15amps charging.
Sure is nice when you stay at anchor for more than one day.  It saves running the main engine - just to charge the batteries.  Also is nice to have the AC cabin fans running when the Honda is charging the batteries. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

captran

I hope I don't offend anyone with this opinionated view:

I know it's nice to have a generator, otherwise so many people wouldn't have one, but let me offer another opinion.  We too have cruised for long periods of time in Desolation as well as the Bahamas(2 months at a time).  There is nothing like sitting outside enjoying the beauty and peace and quiet.  There are places in Desolation that you could run it without being intrusive, but there are many places that have close quarters anchoring.  If you do get a generator, please be courteous and anchor as far away from Folks as you can so as to not to disturb the ambiance.  Those things can echo in some of those anchorages and I used to get pretty irritated when someone would pull into an anchorage, drop the hook 50 feet away, start the generator and leave their boat to go explore ashore.

Since I have not cruised the NW with my Catalina yet I was hoping that my batteries would hold up better than in the Bahamas, as it seems like the biggest draw on the batteries is the refrigeration, and as you can imagine, it's hot down there, which I am assuming made the fridge work overtime, but maybe it will work just as hard in the NW. In the Bahamas we stayed at a Marina about once a week and found that motoring a couple of hours a day seemed to keep things up reasonably well in between stays.  I know there's not much in the way of Marinas in Desolation, but if you have a long extension cord you can often find power even when rafted up at the public docks, at least that's the way it was 6 years ago.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Stu Jackson

Jack

A search on the word "generator" gets lots of topic postings.

A particularly good discussion can be found at one of the hits on that search:

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1563&highlight=generator

Another one is:  

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1483&highlight=generator

which is essentially your same question.

(Please note that these links do not work anymore because they were carried over from the first Message Board software and do no longer properly link to the subjects.  You can use the new search engines with the appropriate phrases to find them.  Stu - 3/22/09)

Many folks, as captran mentioned, are concerned about noise, but prudence and compassion for neighbors at anchor can also be obtained by a good, large house bank of batteries with a new higher output alternator with external regulation and a well insulated icebox.  :wink:  (We turn ours off at night, can't do that in the heat elsewhere).

Of course, there is the additional fuel issue, but if you have an outboard you already have gas on board.  Another advantage is hot water - 15 minutes with the electrical heater on and the hot water tank is heated and ready to go, a very nice advantage if you can run the generator in the morning (if you like morning hot showers  :lol: )

I think you'll find the references above and the search helpful in answering the specific questions you asked.

The choices for being out for an extended period are basically how do you charge your batteries:  engine with new externally regulated alternator; solar; generator; or a combination of these.  I think all are mentioned.  Have a great cruise!
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Jack : Go down to the Honda dealer and have him run one of the little generators and you decide on the noise level.  Then go sit at anchor or on a mooring for a couple of weeks.  
Think you'll find that running the main engine for 30-45 minutes in the morning and the evening, really gets old and noisy below!!  Even my 1st Mate dreaded having to recharge twice daily.  I even had a solar panel to "take the edge off" during the day.  Just think - you're running a $7000 main engine when you could be running a $700 generator!

The only way to really beat the drain on the batteries from refrigeration over a couple of days/weeks at anchor, is to turn the "reefer off" and get used to warm soda/beer.  :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

Jack Hutteball

Thanks for all the input guys.  I am very concernd about running a generator in an isolated anchorage, as I know how it irritates me!  We have been out up to a week running everything and did not run the battery's down.  I have never run the engine just to charge battery's.  I get what I have needed with just moving the boat when there is no wind, but am not sure that will be sufficient when out for a month or so.  My tender is oar power only so I don't have to carry a second fuel type yet.  Having that hot shower first thing in the morning sounds great though.
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

captran

Wow, I always admire the folks out there rowing their dingy.  Especially with the tidal current the way it is up there.  You deserve a commendation! :D

As to the batteries holding up, like I said before, it will be very inter sting to see how Voyager behaves in the colder climate.  The link 20 has made it very nice monitoring what's going on.  I re-read all the postings on high output alternators and think that will be on my next years projects list.  (I think by the time I'm done with fixing everything, I will be project'ed out this year.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Ray & Sandy Erps

Jack and Randy,

We have a 300 amp house bank with a separate starting battery and a high output alternator.  We have refrigeration that we use to extend the ice in the icebox, not for a primary source of cooling.  We have two of those solar showers that provide hot water for showers and for washing dishes.  Having said all that, we have stayed on the hook for as long as five days before we run out of beer or bread, so we make a quick trip over to Refuge Cove for a resupply.  That short trip is enough to recharge our batteries for another five days on the hook.  Our deepest discharge was around 80 amp hours.  It doesn't get dark up there until 10:00 p.m. and by using ice in the ice box, there really isn't that much to use power on (we splurge by running a small hand vacuum through an inverter almost every day to keep the carpet looking nice.)

We have noticed that the anchorages up there tend to draw different types of boaters.  Some anchorages are primarily sail boaters and are the quiet ones.  Others are predominately power boaters with the associated noise and haze from all the dinghys and generators.  We drop the hook primarily in Roscoe Bay where the sail boaters consistently out number the power boaters.  I remember on one occasion a nice trawler came in and ran his genset all day long.  When he finally shut it off, several people came on the deck of their boats and gave him a standing ovation.  I don't think most folks mind a generator being run for a short time, but geez, this guy was over the top.  I haven't heard a small Honda run, but my guess is that it wouldn't be objectionable to most boaters if it was only run for short periods of time.  

P.S.  My hard drive crashed last month and I lost both your email addresses and so did not respond to your last emails.  As the weather improves I'd still be interested in a rendezvous.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Jack Hutteball

Ray and Randy,

Rowing is OK, one needs to get his exercise some way!  I tend to be a minimalist when it comes to using engine power.  I try to sail if there is even a light zephyr (yes, I am sometimes going backwards here in the San Juans) so that is why I am concerned about keeping the batterys up on a long cruse.  This is the first time I have had the luxury of real refrigeration on a boat so we use it.  I have adding a separate starting battery on my list after reading all about it on the board here.  Seems like the smart thing to do.

We definitely need to get together when it's time to shake the sails out.  This will be my first trip to desolation sound so you two can surely give me some pointers
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

captran

We'll have our own mini rendezvous.  I am so looking forward to it.  I know I should be more patient when it comes to sailing, but if we're headed some place and we get to sail, then that's great, and sometimes we'll go one direction or another if the wind favors one place or another, and if the sun is shining and there's no where I want to be, then I don't mind sitting becalmed, but more often than not we'll motor a few hours to keep the batteries up.  of course, Ice down in the Bahamas was about $5.00 for a bag in some locations, sometimes more, so last year we did not buy ice once in 8 weeks, and relied on the fridge to make ice.  When we were cruising the NW we didn't have refrigeration, so this will be different.

This summer we'll just do the San Juans and gulf islands, maybe a trip to Victoria, until we know everything is working well.  Thinking about getting a Wa state parks pass.

anyway,
e mail is  caprannospam@yahoo.com     remove the nospam

I am happy to report that the instruments arrived today.  The cushions look almost brand new, but I probably won't bring them back aboard until late spring.  Am still working on the steps varnish.  Not sure if I'll be over one of these weekends or wait till Christmas break and come over for a few days to install stuff, but by then Voyager may be in the barn getting worked on, so it may be even longer than that.

keep in touch

PS  Had a hard drive fail several years ago.  Not a good deal!
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

Randy and Mary Davison

Jack, Ray, Randy,

I'm the fourth Anacortes boater active on this forum and would be interested in getting together as well.  My e-mail is saltwaterluvnospam@hotmail.com (remove nospam).

Just to compare notes - We have 450 AH of house bank plus a starter battery, high output alternator and link 10 monitor.  We are at the opposite end of the electricity usage scale.  With a teenager or two along in Desolation sound and points north, we use up to 220 AH a night.  It goes to ham radio, stereo, fridge, Espar heater, lights, laptop rechargers(2), AA cell rechargers (3), inverter for Xbox and TV.   I've been thinking about a Honda 1000 to reduce engine time and as a backup at home.

When my wife Mary and I cruise alone we use about 100 AH a night.   We tend to be explorers as opposed to long term anchorers so we move at least every two nights.  With the fickle winds in Desolation, we tend to motor a fair bit and have plenty of juice.   We've been keeping the Trojan batteries above 50% of capacity most of the time.  When they wear out, we'll go to AGMs so we can discharge them further and charge them faster.

I agree that the trick with generators is to choose your anchorage and charge time wisely.  In Prideux Haven in the afternoon, you wouldn't notice a diesel train engine running but in Roscoe, even a Honda 1000 would be a problem on a quiet evening.

I also agree that there is no real way to beat the fridge draw.  We do keep a block of ice at the bottom and turn it off at night.  This tends to work very well since the power is on when people are in and out of the fridge.  In Desolation in August, the water and air are often very warm and the only solution is to just leave it on.  We tend to move north of Big Bay just get out of the heat!  How's that for a native north-westerner?
Randy Davison
Gorbash
MK1 #1268
k7voe

Jack Hutteball

Randy,
Thanks for a lot of good information.  I have been reading the board with interest regarding upgrading house banks, alternators etc.  All is definitely on my list, it's getting to it.  Generally its just the two of us but about half the time we have guests aboard.  We don't run a lot of extra things, but I will be bringing a computer along next summer.  So far power has not been a problem and we run the refer 24/7.  The original batteries are only 3 years old and I keep them up with a new charger as suggested on this board.

With four of us in the Anacortes area we should think about starting our own fleet.  We could even compete for space in the Mainsheet with the fleets in San Francisco and  Chesapeak Bays!

I would enjoy getting together with all three of you as all of you are way ahead of me in the upgrades you have made to your boats.

Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington