Head sail

Previous topic - Next topic

rappareems

I am currently planning on a new head sail.  This will be a club racing sail used on Lake Ontario in winds generally 8 to 16 Knots.  I currently have a 163% that costs me a six second penalty.  One sail maker tells me to go to a 170 and sheet outboard another to a 153 save the penalty and not back wind the jib.  

Any suggestions as to fabric and size?

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ted Pounds

I bought a tri-radial, dacron 155 from Doyle last year.  Last year I won both Wed night race series at our club.  This year did OK but missed too many races.  However we did win our section in the club's "Founders Cup Regatta" this year.  Though under the conditions it was more a battle of attrition than speed with more than half a dozen boats withdrawing for gear failure and other reasons.  We tore the 155 in the second race on Sat. (still finished first  8)  ).  Doyle had a temp patch in and ready to go Sun. morning.  That's why I like to go with a local loft.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rappareems

Ted,

Where do you sail?  We have a Doyle loft locally and they quoted two prices and two different higher tech fabrics.  How much was your dacron if I may ask.  If you don't want to post it email me at Rappareems@aol.com. I would appreciate it.  Thanks.

Mark
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

Ted Pounds

I got two quotes from Doyle at the Chicago winter show.  One for $2525 and one for $3600.  The difference was the fabric.  I went with the cheaper one.  I think the $3600 one uses a Dacron/mylar sandwich.  The Dacron on mine is top quality, tight weave, 6.4 oz, but other than that nothing special.  The price included numbers and shape stripes.  I still haven't figured out how to use the shape stripes and I'd skip them and save a few bucks next time.

I sail on Lake Michigan out of North Point Marina.  It's north of Chicago and just south of the Wisc. border (or, as some people here refer to it, 'the cheddar curtain'   :wink: )
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rappareems

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

APACHE

Mark : There have been numerous posts on the size of the headsail.  Boiled down the consensus was:  
Standard rig - 150% max   Tall rig - 135% max   :wink:

Ted Pounds

Ron,

Those generalizations may be OK for cruising, but for PHRF racing you want the maximum sail you can legally get.  That's normally a 155 genoa.  There's no handicap benefit to being under-canvassed.  So even if Mark has a tall rig he needs a 155 to be competitive.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447