Mainsail replacement

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene Regan

:?:
Hello Everyone,
Has anyone had any recent experience with Catalina Direct on sails and also Air Force. Price wise they are close but would like someones reccomendations , good or bad on the products and service.

Jim Price

I have a friend that just replaced both main and headsails with Air Force sails on a Person 34.  He had local sail maker measure and order components and sail maker "custom" built sail.  Price was much better than other brands and he is very satisfied with look and performance.  His recommendation is getting local to measure and build sail so it works for your boat.  Don't know long term results.  Just one opinion.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

rirvine

Gene:

Having been down both the "off-the-rack" over the Internet and the semi-custom sails from the local loft roads, I would strongly recommend dealing with a local loft for new sails. They will make sails for your boat and for the conditions you sail in rather than the one size fits all approach.  They should also come out on your boat and help you tune the sails.

Good luck, Ray

Randy Stolze

Hi Captain,

As you know, I purchased a an Air Force Blue Water main last winter. The previous orginal main had stretched so much that the boom would lay on top of the dodger when sheeted down a little.
     I followed their directions for measurements without any problem. They actually called me to question one of my measurements which they considered a little out of the "normal" for the C34. I am very pleased with the fit and performance of this sail. The only negative that I can say is that it is built heavier than I need for costal cruising and mostly day sailing. The corner patches are so heavy(stiff) that the sail does not flake easily.
     If I had it to do over I would go with a local loft. We have them all in our area. I recommend you consider the dutchman system for the ease of dropping. I hate wrestling with the lazy jacks and straightening out the main.

Go Fleet 3

Randy
Randy