Hump Hose

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Thompson

Discovered a leak in the hump hose.  I thought it was coming from the connection to the aqualift, but closer investigation showed an accumulation of "white fuzz" around the insulation where the cooling water enters the exhaust.

Does this sound familiar to anyone in this great wealth of informed sailors?

The idea of disconnecting the hump hose assembly in that restricted area doesn't thrill me.  True Luff is a 2001 model and I don't think the HH assembly should be failing yet. :?

APACHE

Dale : Not too sure what the 'white fuzz' is??  
When I installed mine I used double clamps on each end.  I also noted that the material of the hump hose was fairly soft, so I used a piece of leather between the hose and the clamps as a cushion.  Didn't want the hose clamps cutting into the hose when the clamps were tightened down.  You might want to try that.
A thought.   :wink:

Dale Thompson

I'm not sure what the white fuzz is either.  I've seen corrosion before but this seems to be a soft layer that gets to be about 1/4 to 3/8 thick on top of the Hump.  
Real weird.  
Maybe I can get a pic to see if anyone can figure it out.

Jeff Tancock

Double check that the "Y" where the exhaust and the sea water mix just above the hump hose isn't the source of your leak. This is the most common area of failure and is about right for your vintage of boat.
Jeff Tancock
Stray Cat #630
Victoria, BC
Canada
1988 25xp

Ray & Sandy Erps

Duzz the fuzz taste salty?  Might be an indication of a pin hole leak at the Y connector, allowing salty steam to escape under the insulation, then condensing and running down the pipe to the top of the hump hose where it collects, dries out and creates the white fuzz.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Stu Jackson

As I recall, Mike Smith had a "white fuzz" story about a year ago on an engine he was looking at on a boat for a friend.  I don't think it was under the head sink, though, but on the engine.

Try a search on fuzz, white, white fuzz, or look up all Mike Smith's posts, and see if it helps.

I agree with Ray, that it sounds like the exhaust riser nipple connection is starting to go.

Read my Mainsheet article on the replacement, see Tech Notes Index, at this URL:  http://www.c34ia.org/mainsheet/pdf/Feb_2004.pdf

Feb. 2004
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."