Reefing point and head question

Previous topic - Next topic

Sailor Vic

Hal,

Wonderful Stu came down to my boat and not only looked at the head, but his eyes were wide and admired the new stuff that Catalina has put on as standard equipment for the 2005 model.

He also gave me a lot of nice tips.

We went to his boat as well and I got some great ideas there. I love the older 34 model as well. This model boat was great when they first came out!  Sure I guess I'm a little giddy right now and in love with my new 34 but Stu's boat is awesome as well.

Regarding the head not filling the way I expected it to fill:

I think it is a combination of things.

I think I was "spoiled" with having used a better head for an entire week this summer while staying on a Tartan 35 (liveaboard sailing class at the San Juan Islands which I highly recommend http://www.sanjuansailing.com/sailingsch.htm ).

If I wanted to "fill" that Tartan toilet it just took a few pumps.

My new toilet can not fill much, no matter how much or hard that I pump.

I think Stu feels that my toilet is operating "ok" and all piping is fine in his opinion.

Stu says that he thinks it is a new toilet and that over time it will work itself in.

Actually my head does seem to be filling a little more than before (maybe as much as 2" from the bottom), which in my mind isn't enough, but I am ready to accept that that is the way it is "supposed" to be.

I am, at this point, just going to add water from the sink, etc whenever I want to have more water in the bowl.

I have spoken with at least 4 other experienced sailors (non Catalina owners) who say that filling my bowl with fresh water is much better than with salt water, as it will keep the odor down a lot more (compared with a salt water fill).  

So maybe all isn't as bad as I thought.

:D  :D  :D

---------------

I do can see air bubbles in the clear braided inlet line, and so I am planning on taking the time to get rid of that air pocket and see what happens.

:D
2005 MKII - Letting Go  - #1688
Marina Village - Gate 11 - Alameda, Calif.