will the 33#Bruce fit inside the anchor well?

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

Am shipping Voyager to the NW.  They say I cant leave the Bruce on the roller (which really would be the best place).  Does anyone know if the Bruce will fit inside the anchor well?  also, has anyone ever removed the spreaders?  Is it simply screwed onto the mast?  Just wondering how many hours the boat yard is going to claim it takes to remove the standing rigging from the mast.  Will probably be a month before I can get her up here and I'm sure I'll have many more questions as I undertake repairs.  Thanks all.

Randy
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Philip Imhof

Here in the northeast , some of us have the mast lowered every fall. The yard I use (average), charges about $3/ft. I usually remove all the sails before bringing it to the yard.

APACHE

Randy : A Bruce 33 will fit in the anchor locker - you might have to remove the nylon rode.  
The spreaders are each attached with 2 clevis pins held in with cotter pins/ring clips.  Remove those pins and the spreaders will pull out of the holder that's secured to the mast.
I'll guess that after the mast is pulled that it could have the rigging ready for shipment in about 6 hours.  The longest time will be spent on the roller furler.
Good luck and I think it's a wise decision to move the boat to where you are, so you can observe it's repair.

Roc

Randy,
A trip over the road could be very bumpy.  If the anchor isn't cushioned properly, it will most likely chew up the gelcoat inside the anchor locker.  Also, everything inside the boat could cause damage if not tied down and secured tightly.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

hdevera

Randy,

Seems to me the best place would be to leave the anchor and rode in place.  Overall length should not be a problem.  Where better to secure it than it's present location.  Height and beam are usually more of an issue than length, when transporting a wide load.  I transported a Morgan 44 about 15 years ago from Alameda, CA to Annapolis, MD.  I basically left everything in place (inside the boat).  Only problem I had was things my stereo and TV were stolen, when it was being recommissioned.

captran

I agree that it would be so much better to leave the anchor on the roller but the shipping Company is insisting it not be there.  Seems silly to me.  I do have a friend that might be able to move it to inside the anchor well.  Am hoping he might cushion it with the line to prevent gel coat damage.  Hopefully he can secure things on the inside too.  Thanks for info about the spreaders/clevis pins. I thought it might be screwed in.   I am so hoping that they take care as they prepare it for shipping.  Id go down there myself but the yard said I would not be allowed to do anything to the mast to prepare it for shipping because it's "not a do it yourself boat yard".  talk about gouging! and so I anticipate the worst in terms of charges to prepare the mast.  Already they are charging me a fortune for putting the boat upright after Francis.  And so much of the damage inside was due to them letting it sit filled with water for 10 days.  had they pumped it out I am sure the damage to the wood would have been much less severe.  I tried calling catalina parts and they sent my call to someone else saying the other person deals with wood issues. He never returned my call. I am sure hoping I can get replacement wood direct from Catalina so that she can be restored to the original condition.  The port side wood was badly damaged.  I have not seen it so I don't know if I can just refinish or need to replace entirely.   They referred me to Seaward re electric panel and also said that they only sell cushions as a complete boat set.  The V berth and aft berth cushions did not sustain damage, but it sounds like it's all or nothing.   I am majorly bummed, as you can imagine.  As I muddle through all this, I will so appreciate all of you collective knowledge.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Ted Pounds

Randy,

I think Catalina gets the wood work from a company called H & L Marine.  I did a google search and found this:  http://www.socalsail.com/gear/h/h00002.html
Try giving them a call.  

I suggest you have your friend wrap the the anchor in some old towels, maybe with some  tape to hold them on.  That should prevent any damage.

If you take the damaged cushions to any upholsterer they should be able to make new ones at a reasonable price using the old as a pattern.  One bright spot - you get to pick the new covering.

With the water inside you should probably replace all the wiring.  There's likely to be a lot of corrosion, especially since Catalina did not use marine-grade, tinned wire.  

When you're all done Voyager will be better than new  :) .

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447