Little dilemma! (Boat Brokers vs Private Sale)

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyss

We are looking into buying a C34.  We found one through a broker listing.  Everything's fine to this point, but through exploring the C34ia site, I found the database and a record of the boat that we're looking into buying!
Based on another boat that we looked at, that was both listed by the owner and a broker, there's a good price difference between the two listings; the broker's fee.
My dilemma: do I contact the owner of the boat that I'm presently looking into?  See if he's interested in selling directly to me?

Thanks
Danny

john meyer

This is a dilemma of conscience- a tough one for a web site devoted to mechanical and sailing issues.  It's much easier to debate the location of a radar scanner.  Some of us sailors are even "wanna be scoundrel pirates" so you're asking a lot.  That said, your first sentence states, "We found one through a broker listing" which means "paid for" advertising caught your attention.  To circumvent the broker at this point is paramount to robbing him of his livelihood.  On the other hand, I've seen many brokers who lie, cheat and do nothing after listing an item - maybe they in turn, deserve to be robbed.  All of that said, I too once tried to circumvent a broker.  The seller had more conscience then me and declined.  Probably a good thing because the boat was a Hunter, but that's another story.  Generally I've learned that "For Sale By Owners", be it boats, homes or cars, once in awhile, do it for a lower price and quick sale, BUT much more often, do it so they can net more.  It's unusual for a seller to rationalize, "I'll FSBO so that the buyer can get a better deal".   At this point in my life, if I were to learn of a sale through a "friend of a friend", I'd go to the seller and try to split the commission difference.  If I were to learn of a sale through a broker, I'd deal with the broker but start by offering a substantially lower price.  Bottom line, you'll probably make a good decision because you already made one good decision is deciding to seek a C34.  Good luck.

Ron Bukowski

Here is my opinion, FWIW: If you contacted the broker yourself and he directed you to the listing then you owe it to him to deal thru him. If you found the listing yourself then you don't owe anything to the broker especially since the listing probably didn't give you any information as to who the owner is. The owner's own listing may have been posted before he turned it over to a broker and therefore the owner may refer you to the broker anyway. If the owner has an "exclusive" contract with the broker, he will have to pay the commission no matter who sells the boat. Contact the owner and see what he says, then make your decision. Your quandary may be all for nothing.
Ron Bukowski
North*Star
#1071 (1990)

Monty

Is the selling price a firm one? Usually, if you make an offer the broker must submit it to the owner. Maybe some of the brokers fee can be negotiated downward with a " reasonable" offer.

dannyss

Good points from both of you.
Maybe a bit more detail from me:
The C34 we looking into is in MD, i found it by looking through Yachtworld. Then we contacted the broker, sent him a list of questions, he e-mail's back that he's double-checking with the owner about certain answers.  In the mean time I'm looking through C34ia database and find the hull number and the owner's name and e-mail address of the boat (no mistake based on the name of the boat and the fact that it's a one owner boat).  First thought that comes to my mind is I've been e-mailing with the owner of another C34 who posted the sale of his boat himself on the C34ia site and also listed through a broker, broker lists at $4100 more.  But the owner was ready and willing to deal with me directly. (We could not find a mutually satisfactory price).
What our my chances that the owner of the MD boat is ready to do the same.  If I contact him directly will he be offended? But I tell myself the database info is public domain.  
I know that the reason of the board is for more technical questions, but since we are at our first boat buying experience, we're seeking as much opinions and suggestions as possible, we want to get the best  price. We are located far from the boats and we must therefore consider transport costs.

Thank you for your time,

Danny

Stu Jackson

Danny

It's philosophical and financial.  Your second post was very helpful.

For $4,100, what has the broker done for you, or the owner for that matter, so far?

If it's nothing, then what do you have to lose by calling the owner?

The "work" the broker puts in, if any, will only be much later as things get going if a deal seems to be working itself out.

The sooner the better to find out, so you can avoid buyer's remorse, and the eventual "I woulda-shoulda-coulda's."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

APACHE

Danny : I'd call the owner direct and let him know that you did NOT go thru or find it thu the broker.  Ask him his"asking price" , go look at the boat and then decide.  If you can find a good surveyor - go for it.  :wink:

BillR

As a recent seller of a C34 I can relate that the sales contract is binding.  Once you contract with a broker they have exclusive rights for X numbers of months/Days based upon the terms of the contract.  In short, you have to go through the broker until the contract expires.

APACHE

Guys : There was an article in Practical Sailor a few years back.  It basically said that you can write into the contract that you ALSO retain the right to sell YOUR boat your self while it's in brokerage.  
I believe that this spur-rs the broker on to get your boat sold before you do.  You must also advertise and get your boat onto the market yourself.  I also wouldn't sign any contract that was more than 90 or even 60 days.  The shorter time make them work for their ridiculous 10% fee.

Anyway, write what you want into the contract and read the fine print before signing.  :roll: