Hurricane Francis - damage and questions

Previous topic - Next topic

captran

Hi All,
Well, I am still waiting to hear from Boat US insurance, but I did get bad news from the boat yard.  Voyager was in Harbortown Marina, Ft Pierce, about 12 or so miles N of Seewall Point where francis made landfall.  About half the boats were knocked over that were stored in the yard.  Unfortunately, Voyager was one of them.  My fear was hull damage, but apparently there were only a few dings in the gel coat as it went over on her port side.  Guess it's a pretty strong hull!  When I heard that I was feeling good.  I waited almost 2 weeks for them to get the authorization to put the boat upright again.  The removed the mast and entered the boat to find it was filled with water up to the bottom of the cabinent forward of the chart table.  Sooo, cushions on the starboard side, inverter, instrument repeaters, GPS all would have been underwater.  I have no idea where the water came from as she is usually a dry boat when upright with no leaks.  I have no idea of if there was water elsewhere, like back toward the engine compartment, or if when put upright if water made it to the battery charger, battery area, A/C unit, etc.  They say it's up to me to arrange repairs, which is going to be tough from 3000 miles away.  And I have yet to hear specifics from the insurance folks.  I doubt I would be so lucky as to totalling her so that I could start fresh.  Originally(before the storm) I was going to come to Florida in April and put her on the dockwise ship and bring her back to the NW.  what are peoples experience with insurance and repairs.  what should I be aware of and wary of?  Each year I have had Voyager I have liked her more and more and sure hope I can be ready for cruising this summer.  Should I go ahead and have her shipped by land since they have the mast off already, and do the repairs up here? Any rumors of good or bad transport companies.  Thanks for any and all advice.

PS has anyone else been getting pop ups and redirects when they visit this site?  I would post a pic but can't find specific instructions on how to do so.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Philip Imhof

If you want to add a picture to your post just go down to the add an attachment section. Click browse, select a picture from you harddrive, then click submit. It's really very simple.

Additionally you can find all sorts of info on this website in the announcemnet forum of this site.

captran

I'm sorry, I guess I am an idiot.  I do not see where the "add an attachment section" is on the reply.  I see a subject line.  under that there is a "B" "i"    "u"   "Quote"   "Code"  "list"  "list="  "Img"   and "URL"

when I click on the Img I get this:   (alt+p)"
but I do not see a browse for image button or tag, and I do not know what to type in to get to a browse prompt.

Below this box is the spell check, and in options the disable list of 4 items, then a preview and submit box, but no "browse" comes up.

I apologize for my lack of computer skills.

Randy[/img]
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345

APACHE

Randy : You need to find out from the insurance people if shipping it to the "NW" is even an option.  I'd probably want to get it close to your home so you can supervise the repairs.  Also I'm sure that there are a BUNCH of boat ahead of you in Florida also waiting for repair.  Do you want to sail it in the "NW" or continue to sail it in the Florida waters? - you have to decide.  :wink:

captran

I figured shipping would be on my dime.  After Charley we had already decided to move her up here to cruise the NW.  (Will miss the water and reefs and white sand beaches, but not the storms. ) Originally we'd planned to go down in April and take her to Ft Lauderdale and board the shipping container ship (dockwise.com) and bring her to Vancouver.  Now, depending on her condition, and as you say, the large number of boats needing repair, I started thinking it might be better to ship her overland now.  I've requested quotes from 4 companies, plus have the quote from dockwise.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345