Adjustment Nuts on the Engine Mounts

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve S.

The adjustment nuts on the engine mounts seem to have developed an annoying problem.  They are constantly loosening on their own.   The engine mount nuts have one nut below the engine mount and two above.  The top ones are no problem, as with two, they automatically lock in place,  but the bottom ones on each mount loosen after I run the engine for any period of time.  I don't see any way to lock the bottom nuts, any ideas?
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

Philip Imhof

Try some loctite. It comes in different grades.

APACHE

Steve : The bottom nut is the adjusting nut for engine / shaft alignment.  The top nut in the "lock" nut.  You really need to crank down on that top nut after you have the bottom nut set.  
I wrote in the Mainsheet (many years ago) to get yourself another nut (3rd) to screw down on to the top nut and have it act as a jam nut.
As I recall the nuts is a 5/8" NC.  I have recommended to all that they do this so the bottom nut can't back off and screw up your engine alignment.
I've even written that you should make a slippage mark (straight line from one nut to the other) between those two top nuts so you can tell that they are in place at a glance.

If you have the Vetus mounts you'll need a metric jam nut-like I have on my 4 mounts.  :wink:

Steve S.

Thanks Ron,  I guess I'll just have to really tighten them down.  However, as you know there ain't much room there for leverage.
Steve S.
Hull 548
Kuching Ayer
Chesapeake Bay

APACHE

Guys : I wouldn't recommend "locktite or 5200" on anything that you that you ever want to get apart!!!!
When I got the boat way back in 1988, I bought a 15/16" open end/box end wrench and took it to a machine shop and had it cut in half!  Now I have a "stubby" open end and box end wrench's to tighten the engine mount nuts.
BTW those 15/16" wrenches fit the new Vetus mount metric size nuts!!
A thought.