Spinnaker Rigging

Previous topic - Next topic

dprice

I was planning on adding a spinnaker next year and was going to install some of the hardware this winter.

First thing was going to be the track on the mast.  I was shooting for 14' so I could store the whisker pole on the mast as well.  I thought ordering this in at least 2 pieces would make it less prone to shipping damage.  Does anyone have experience with how the pole car would handle the seam between the track sections or do I need to consider where the seam should be ?  I can get the track in one piece if that is much preferred.

I was thinking of using a genoa car on the outside track positioned amidships for the guy.  Will this work ?

Should the sheet be lead through a similar arrangement, possible positioned further aft or do I need to double up the existing turning blocks or both ?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Jim Price

Dave, I installed whisker pole this spring.  Used one-piece track (12 ft) on mast.  13-14 ft would have been more comfortable but it worked out with only inches to spare. Go with 14 ft.  The car does not need the full length but I am using the Forespar storage car also and that extends down below the pole car so you need more track on bottom and extra on top.  I would not use two peices due to effort to make track (even with curved underside) fit.  I had to be VERY carefull drilling holes in centered position and even then I could see some flex in track.  I mounted and tightened in sequence once I had ends spotted.  Believe it or not, t-track does bend across the "T" and you want it to be very straight.  I ordered my track from Sailnet and it was delivered in ling 12' tube.  No damage; their responsibility anyway. :D
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Jim Price

Forgot your original question.  I am pretty sure Sailnet  will cut to any reasonable length.

Also, a seam would most likely do damage to the pole car if you are using heavy duty adjustable car.  Those things are made to ride close to track and "friction" material on inside would get damaged.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

dave davis

Sounds like you are getting some good suggestions. Let me add two more.
The spinnaker sheet should be lead aft as much as you have room for. I don't know where your turning block is located but I put in an aft pad eye and hung a block from it.
Another suggestion is, don't buy a solid fix ring for the track attachment. What will happen is that you will have a 12-20 length lever arm and it is real easy to break off the solid loop on the car. Get the car that has a loose swivel ring. I broke two castings using the fixed ring.
Good Luck, Dave
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach