BURNING SMELL

Previous topic - Next topic

RON SCHERER

AFTER A BEAUTIFUL DAY OF SAILING OFF POINT LOMA IN SAN DIEGO MY WIFE AND I WERE HEADING BACK TO THE DOCK WHEN A BURNING SMELL LIKE PAPER BURNING WAS COMING FROM THE HEAD. I OPENED THE DOOR TO THE ALTINATOR TO FIND A VERY FINE DUST ALL OVER THE INSIDE OF THE DOOR AND ON THE BELT SIDE OF THE ALTINATOR. AFTER ARRIVING BACK TO OUR SLIP I FOUND THE ODOR HAD DISCIPATED BUT  THE BELT TO  THE ALTINATOR WAS VERY LOOSE AND THE BOAT DIDNT SEEM TO HAVE THE GET UP AND GO IT USUALLY HAS ON THE WAY BACK IN. WE WERE RUNNING LATE FOR OUR FLIGHT BACK TO PHOENIX SO I DIDNT HAVE TIME TO OPEN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT AND INSPECT ANYTHING FURTHER. PLEASE, CAN ANYONE SHED SOME LIGHT ON THIS BEFORE WE GO BACK TO HOPEFULLY NOT A BIG PROBLEM. WHAT CAN I LOOK FORWARD TO? ANY IDEAS? OUR BOAT IS A 1987 WITH A M-25 ENGINE ???????

Ray & Sandy Erps

I'd check to see if any of the belt driven accessories seized up.  That would be one reason for a burned belt and the engine bogging down.
Ray & Sandy Erps,
'83, 41 Fraser "Nikko"
La Conner WA

Mike Smith

Same thing happened to me last year - you probably just need a new alternator belt.

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1146&highlight=perkins+m30

Mike

Ron Hill

Ron : You'll need a new belt.  I'd get a Gates 7400 or a 7395 (a bit shorter).  Check to make sure that the alternator spins freely as well as the internal water pump.  
Because you have an M25 make sure that you have the alternator bracket modification.  The adjusting bracket should be under the alternator NOT over the top.  
Re tension the new belt and you should be OK.  With the belt tight, twist the belt between your thumb and finger.  You should only be able to twist it 90 no more than 180 degrees.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Ron

Here's the link to the alternator bracket repair and replacement with pictures of the old and new brackets.  The story is self-explanatory.

http://www.c34ia.org/projects/projects-alt-bracket.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

RON SCHERER

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE REPLYS ON THE BURNING SMELL. SURE HOPE A NEW BELT DOES THE JOB. NO ONE HAS SAID THE ALT. IS SHOT, IS THAT A POSSIBILITY? HOW WOULD I MAKE SURE THE ALT. IS STILL IN GOOD SHAPE? THANKS AGAIN----RON S.

Stu Jackson

Ron

Alternator diagnosis:

1.  Turn off the caps key on your computer :)

2.  Measure the voltage when your engine's running.  Don't know what kind of electrical gear you have on your boat, so can't be more specific.  Measure at the panel switch or at the batteries.

3.  Alternator OK:  I thought Ron already mentioned it:  "Check to make sure that the alternator spins freely as well as the internal water pump. "

If it spins and it puts out juice, it's OK.  What could be easier?

If it doesn't let us know.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

APACHE

Ron : When you crank up the engine with the new belt, measure the voltage at the battery's and it measure about 13.5 t0 14volts.  :wink: