Poor Pickup

Previous topic - Next topic

bhatter

When starting my engine the fuel pump sometimes does not click. My electrical panel has also been failing to function. When I tap the fuel pump it will typically kick in and that is sometimes true for the panel.

Now, I am experiencing poor pickup. I will get the engine to 2000 RPM and it doesn't seem to respond. This does not happen all the time. This past weekend, I was motoring along at 2000 RPM and then had to throttle back. When I tried to resume by RPMs it did not respond the same way.

I changed the fuel filter a month ago. Can I conclude that the sporadic failure of the fuel pump could be the reason for the sporadic problem with my pick up.

Ken Juul

I think you may have a couple of problems.  The fuel pump not running and intermittent instrument panel is probably electrical.  Do you have the new instrument panel harness?  If yes, then check the connections for looseness and/or corrosion.  If no replace it.  

The engine not responding may be because of a lack of fuel.  If you have over a half tank, the engine should gravity feed with or without the fuel pump.  Does the pick up in the fuel tank still have the screen?  If yes it should be removed.  If no, then perhaps you have you have a layer of water/crud in the bottom of the tank that is periodically getting picked up causing poor engine performance.  Which filter did you change?  The one mounted on the engine or the RACOR filter/water separator.  The RACOR is mounted above the fuel pump.  It has a clear bowl to show any water/ sediment that it has found.

Tons of information is available by doing a search.  The search button is at the top of the page.  Try "engine harness", "pickup screen", "fuel Tank", and "racor".
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Possible.  If the entire panel is failing, the issue is likely with the main panel ground.  It's likely corroded or making a poor connection at the panel or at its termination point (normally the engine block or an associated bus).  You'll find a basic schematic for the system in your owner's manual.  

Although I cant ascertain the vintage of your boat, be sure to snoop around the website and learn about the engine harness upgrade (this would include a replacement ground for your panel).  If you've got a simple, plastic trailer type connector at the harness termination near the aft, port end of your engine, you may need to replace the harness.  

Most electrical malfunctions of this nature on sailboats (especially in salt water) are the result of poor grounding (usually caused by corrosion).  I little bit of Boeing T-9, "Lanicote" or dielectric silicone goes a long way to prevent problems.  You can obtain these products at most marine outlets.  In a pinch, plain old WD-40 or Vaseline will work and are certainly better than nothing!  

Another source of problems is inexpensive connectors.  In some cases, connectors are poor quality mild steel crimped to solid copper (i.e., non-tinned) wire.  A connection like this will only last for a few years in a marine environment before it starts to cause problems (either high resistance or poor connection).  

Cheers,

Mike

Ron Hill

bh : You must be a relatively new owner.  The best advice I can give you is to take a few days off from sailing and read everything on this C34 site.  Also review your owners manual on the boat and engine.
You've got the questions, this site has the answers. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

bh

Try this:

http://www.c34ia.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1643&highlight=electric+fuel+pump

for starters (no pun intended, yeah, right...!) :)

If, as Ron suggested, you are a new owners of an older boat, you know that these boats have been produced since, as you know, 1986.  We have one, too.

PLEEEEEZE, read, and continue to ask questions.

Lots of your questions have already been asked and answered and I recommend you review the main website (see C34 HOME, above) for FAQs and Projects.  Many of these posts are for the "experienced" boats, such as yours AND mine.

In addition, the search features are very helpful.  I found the one above by hitting "search" and typing in "electric fuel pump."

You can do the same for "engine wiring harness," since we have been pretty careful in naming both the subjects of our messages and using the familiar nomenclature within our text messages so that the search engines can work efficiently.

Also try a search on WEBLOG.  Many skippers have posted extensive experiences of their first few years of ownership.

You can also gain access to the C34 TECH NOTES ONLINE when you become a member of the association.  You also get a CD ROM with all that info from 1987 to 2001.  We're in the process of updating the CD-ROM, too.

Cory and I have had six wonderful years on a previously owned 1986 boat and look forward to many, many more.  We know how you feel and are glad you found this 'site.

We look forward to helping you out anytime.  How about changing your sign in name to your real name as most of us do?  Use the "signature
section to have the computer print it out automatically for you.

Fair winds, and WELCOME.

Also, Hi to JEFF with new-to-him #219.  Lots of this goes out to you, too, without repeating.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

bhatter

Ron

Thanks for the advice.  I found the article on removing and cleaning the fuel tank.  I will attempt that this fall.  

As a matter of fact our C 34 is a 1987 model.  We have owned it for three years.  It's just now that we have begun to experience problems.  My apologies if I irritated you.  You are correct about one thing.....I WOULD rather be sailing.

Stu

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.  I was amazed to discover machine screws in the control panel.  When we remove it, we will definitely replace them with wood screws.  It appears that we have several upgrades ahead of us!

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Kentucky Lake

APACHE

Bill : You didn't irritate me , I'm just trying to get the point across that if you read all of the info that's on this site, you'll be armed with the answers when you're faced with a breakdown/problem.

I'm an original owner and after 17 seasons pretty well know this boat.
In 1988 there were only a half dozen issues of the Mainsheet out (that had C34 stuff).  That's all there was!!!!
You are lucky to have all of this experience written down and yours for the reading.

Most of our C34 subscribers don't really appreciate the plight of the "technical editor".  Who does he ask when He has a problem?  -- He solves it and passes it on to the rest of the C34s so they know the answer when confronted with that same problem.
The answers are here and your's for the reading.  
Fair Winds  :wink: