Whisker Pole

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

All you Non - Spin guys -

Any tips on using a 13'-24' whisker pole while racing would be appreciated...

Mike

Stu Jackson

Mike

We used our pole last year for racing and found that it tried to hit the forestay and the extrusions on the furler all too often.  We ditched the pole and gybe downwind.

However, the Pardey's book, Self Sufficient Sailor, includes a very good description, with photos, of how they rigged and ran their poles.  If you check it out in a marine bookstore, it's only about five minutes of reading.  Seems like a good idea, because they describe a one person set and take-down.  It may work for you.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Thanks, Stu -

We raced Breezer for the first time today and, as always, it was a real learning experience!  We had a crew of three, two experienced and one novice. More crew would be a real asset, but the reality is that they are hard to find on a regular basis. The race was a 16 mile WL course out into the Gulf. A storm came through just after the start and the wind dropped to zip for the next hour or so, but picked up nicely after that.  We were able to use the pole for the last 1/3 of the course and it worked great. I was very impressed with the increase in speed. We had another storm and a wind shift just short of the finish and had to take it down to finish.

The problems we had can be corrected with some re-rigging and more practice. The genoa sheets were too short to extend the pole fully and I was surprised that the inboard fitting had to be set so much higher that I had expected. My pole is a line control version and it extended easily on lazy sheets. The pole needs to be under no tension when it is taken down but that is hard to do with the genoa flopping around. The pole has a tendency to strike the headstay during takedown, so an afterguy might be a good idea.  Using the lazy sheet tucked under the bow cleat as a downhaul worked very well. When not deployed, I left the pole attached to the mast, lowered all the way down with the inboard end attached to the bow cleat, and it did not interfere with the genoa on tacks at all. We also had problems with the spinnaker halyard wrapping around the furling gear at the top of the headstay after dropping the pole, but that my be a function of some sacrificial cloth that needs repair. The genoa was a the loft but I borrowed it for this race. Even the Forespar pamplet instructions and their Website contradict each other on a couple of points on using the pole.

All in all, for a first time exerience things did work out OK. I just need to establish some step by step procedures and get some more practice.

Mike

Mike Smith

Oops - "the inboard end attached to the bow cleat" should read "the outboard end attached to the bow cleat" I can't find a "modify" or "Edit " function on the new board.

Mike

Ted Pounds

Mike,

A few thoughts:  My PHRF certificate limits whisker pole length to spin pole lenght, 13.5 feet.  I'm required to have a large black stripe that shows when it's beyond 13.5 feet.  I believe the class rules allow 16.5 feet, but we're not a recognized class under Lake Michigan PHRF.  To quickly release the pole I use a topping lift that runs to just below the steaming light (it was convenient because I already had an eye-strap there) and a trip line that runs the length of the outer part (mine is a button lock telescoping).  To release I pull the trip line to release the sheet then use the topping lift to raise the outboard end to the mast.  That gets it out of the way so I can trim the sails for the next leg and then lower the outboard end to the bow, which is where it stays while racing, but not in use.  Note that once it's lowered to the bow the topping lift must be disconnected or it will be in the way when tacking.  Also You have to make sure the lazy sheet runs over top the pole or it will catch on tacking.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike Smith

Our local sailing instructions allow the pole to be 1.6 x J, where J is 13.5 so the pole can be 21.6' (!)- I have mine banded at 21.5' just to stay legal.
Your jibing technique sounds interesting - I too have a strap at the same level as yours - I might give it a try. It makes sense to have the topping lift at the mast for short handed crews.

Mike

PS Due to a Chinese Jibe at the Windward mark, I no longer have a television antenna on the front of the mast - Oh well, we didn't watch that much TV anyway!

ltower

When the whisker pole is stored on the mast, is it in the way of the main sail cover?  Does the main sail cover go over the whisker pole or under it?  I currently do not have a whisker pole, but am considering one for my C34 Mark II.  I'm looking at the 12-22 ft. adjustable aluminum pole, and mast mounting it.  Hence the questions.  Also is theft an issue?  Is there a way to "lock" the pole when not in use?

Stu Jackson

Please see:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=1506.0

1.  When the whisker pole is stored on the mast, is it in the way of the main sail cover?  Does the main sail cover go over the whisker pole or under it?

Depends on how you set it up and how your mainsail cover is built.  Assuming that you have the ms cover around the mast, the adjustable mast-mounted ring should go high, over the top of the mainsail cover, because the inboard end of the pole is way high.

2.   I currently do not have a whisker pole, but am considering one for my C34 Mark II.  I'm looking at the 12-22 ft. adjustable aluminum pole, and mast mounting it.  Hence the questions. 

No problem, understand.  Take a look around your dock to see how it may be done.  You will require a foot connection at the base of the mast to hold the "down" side of the pole.  It is screwed into the deck at the front of the mast.

3.    Also is theft an issue?  Is there a way to "lock" the pole when not in use?

What else is there outside on your boat that someone could steal?  Dunno about this one --  your choice, but you could lock the three parts of it: pole and two end fittings.  I guess they could steal your winches, if they were clever... :donno:
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Jim Price

My sail cover still just goes over the mast behind the whisker pole.  I use the sail cover to capture all the extra lines I now have as a result of the pole, the trip line, track car lines, and the pole topping lift. 

The pole (Forespar aluminum / carbon) is supported by the toggle car when it is run up to the top of the track.  I also have the "hard rubber" clamp on the car track that holds the pole up high to keep it from flopping around.  At the foot of the mast, I built a block (used oak sealed with Bristol) that conforms to curve of mast and pole clamp is attache to the base of the mast through the block.  This keeps pole in place, off the deck, and the holes are in the mast, not the deck - and that is much easier to seal.

I don't worry about theft.  If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it no matter how you try to secure.  You have got to have some faith in sailors.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA