Fuel Treatment "Algae X"

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Blumenfeld

I had my fuel tank "polished" because my filer clogs FREQUENTLY! He suggested to use "Algae X" instead of BioBor as it does a better job of dissolving fungus and other microbes vs. just killing them and having them drop to the bottom of the tank.  

There is also a in-line magnetic device made by Algae X but he doesn't think I would run enough fuel though it for it to be effective.  I've had the boat for about 2 years and have only put in about 15gal of fuel.  

Does anyone have any experience with these products?

Paul

http://www.algae-x.net/prod_catalyst.htm
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ted Pounds

Practical Sailor did a test awhile back of the magnetic device and they said it was B.S.  I always use BioBor with my fuel.  Just my thoughts...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ron Hill

Paul : With such a low fuel consumption I surly hope that you've been using "Fuel Stabilizer" and or "Diesel Store and Start".   It's a mute point on how to kill the microbes if the fuel is braking down.
I'd dump what you have, remove the tank, clean it and refill with fresh fuel.  I use BOTH Algae X and Biobore Jr.  I also have an Algae X that the fuel flows thru.
There have been a number of articles in the Mainsheet on how to "polish" your own fuel.  I let my bleed valve open 1/4 turn so fuel is circulating thru the filter in excess of what is being used.
Some thoughts. :wink:
Ron, Apache #788

Paul Blumenfeld

Ron,

With my limited fuel use your suggesting to use all three products; Diesel Store and Start, Algae X, and Biobore Jr?
Ali'ikai #312
Channel Islands, CA

Ron Hill

Paul : I use Store and Start over the winter as a fuel stabilizer.  I use Algae X as a performance enhancer and Biobor Jr as a biocide.  I also put over 300hrs a year on my engine so the only time fuel really sits is over the winter storage.  :wink:
Ron, Apache #788