PHRF Rating

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Smith

Just got my GYA PHRF Rating Certificate

Base Rating 165
2 Blade prop +6
Roller Furling +6
Net Rating    177

It would be nice to have a downloadable database (Excel?) of C34 ratings to compare regional PHRF differences.

Mike

Tom P, IMPULSE #233, '86

Mike,

I agree...I think a database showing PHRF ratings could be very useful and interesting...Especially comparing regional variances...

However in order to compare apples to apples, we need to know ALL boat specifics...Std/tall rig (mast), shoal/deep keel, folding/2 blade fixed/3 blade fixed prop, roller furling, and and other credits your region may take into account; I hear some regions may give a "non spinnaker adjustment", and also add for cruising items (refer, A/C, old sails, etc)...These last two additions (non spin and cruising credits) may only be specific club credts and not PHRF though...

On the lower Ches Bay, my '86 tall rig, std keel base rating is 141...I have a folding prop so no addition there, but do get 6 sec/mile for roller furling credit...Final rating is a 147.

Tom P

Norris Johnson

Lakewood Yacht Club, in Kemah, Texas, has the Mariposa with a 186. I have a std rig, 3 blade fixed, wing keel, roller furling, and a 135 genoa.
Paisano
Catalina 36 MkII 95
Hitchcock, Texas

Ted Pounds

Lake michigan base rating is 150 (165 for jib and main only) for std rig. No credit for RF.  I think the credit for fixed prop is 6 (I have a folding).  You can look up the all ratings at www.lmphrf.org.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

Mike,

We've got the same rating from the GYA, and we've got a wing keel with a fixed, three-bladed prop.  So you're doing well if you've only got two blades hanging in the wind and even better if you've got a fin keel.

Cheers,

Vac

Mike Smith

Vac -

Breezer has a two blade prop with a wing keel. The GYA valid list has you as 183? What does the rest of your racing season look like on Bluewater Bay, i.e., how many more races? I couldn't find it on the GYA schedule.

Mike

dave davis

You can add this PHRF to your database. The PHRF committee in San Francisco has this for the C34
Base is 147 . To this base they add 3 sec. for a 2 bladed fix prop, 6 sec. for a 3 bladed fix prop, and they give you 3 sec for a max headsail of 125.
The base assumes you have a 155% ,  folding prop, standard main and spinnaker. etc and lots of requirements that can be found in their site under guidelines. :lol:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach